Under-13's make it a double
Chilterns League U13 s Grand Final New Greens Gladiators 34 v 20 Adeyfield Dragons St Albans rugby league team, The New Greens Gladiators U13 s completed a memorable double when they beat Adeyfield Dragons from Hemel Hempstead in the Chilterns Junior Rugb
Chilterns League U13's Grand Final
New Greens Gladiators 34 v 20 Adeyfield Dragons
St Albans rugby league team, The New Greens Gladiators U13's completed a memorable double when they beat Adeyfield Dragons from Hemel Hempstead in the Chilterns Junior Rugby League Grand Final to go with their League title.
Going in to the Grand Final as unbeaten champions after the weekly rounds, The Gladiators got off to a great start and really looked up for this game. Within the first 20 minutes nearly all the game was in their opponents half, and they had run in three tries for a comfortable 14-0 lead after just 15 minutes. However. the team from Hemel weren't out of it and after a shaky start they slowly began to settle down. They shocked the crowd, and the Gladiators, when they ran in two unanswered tries to trail by just six points at the break. It looked like the second half was going to be a real arm wrestle, but two magnificent long range tries from the Gladiators extended their lead to a comfortable margin of 22-8.
You may also want to watch:
However, just as in the first half, the Hemel team dropped a gear and began to slog it out with their opponents, running in a further two tries. By this time the Hemel lads looked as though they were tiring and could only get one more four-pointer as the Gladiators ran in another two tries.
Senior coach Shane Rampling said: "What an outstanding game, all the boys were exceptional. Josh Berry was outstanding, Aaron Exley and Kieran Hodges never stopped running, and Callum Porter, Michael Lisa and Matt King played out of their skins. I must also praise the teams coaches Shane Hodges and Tom Driscoll."
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
In March, the Gladiators join forces with their sister team, Hatfield Comets, and compete in the London Junior Rugby League as St Albans Centurions Juniors.