Two tries for Ben Russell not enough as Verulamians lose to Finchley
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians’ distant hope of sneaking into the promotion spaces vanished after a 46-22 defeat to Finchley.
The result all but keeps the Londoners in London North West Three for another year and saw their tactically savvy fly-half open up Vees too easily at times.
Injuries didn’t help the home team’s cause either, with Cameron Craig, Billy Sach and Tom Bloomfield all departing the field.
It was still close at half-time with Finchley just edging into a 17-10 lead with two converted tries and a penalty, beating Ben Russell’s converted effort for Vees.
Joe Baker got a try early in the second period, but that was surrounded by three more for the visitors.
You may also want to watch:
The Vees’ back-row of Baker, Tim Fretter and Luke Bell, plus Charlie Deacon and Sam Crowne, started to cause problems and it led to Russell’s second try.
But another two unconverted tries finished the game in Finchley’s favour and left Vees hopes in tatters.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 7 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 8 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 9 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 10 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?