Two second half goals see Blueboys past Ealing

Action from London Colney's 2-0 pre-season win over Ealing Town. Picture: James Whittamore

Action from London Colney's 2-0 pre-season win over Ealing Town. Picture: James Whittamore - Credit: Archant

Playing Ealing Town at home saw the Blueboys win 2-0 with both goals coming in the second half after the match looked like it was going to end goalless.

Manager Jim Nicolls used two different line-ups for each half and in the first period saw a poor clearance from Matt Tillbrook setup Ealing with a good chance but Jack Smith was equal to it and pulled off a smart save low down to his left.

At the other end Jason Beck saw his effort whistle right across the face of the goal and wide whilst Martin Collins headed just over the bar following a good cross from Spencer Clarke-Mardel.

Jack Smith was again in action when he had to dive low down to his right and tip around the post a low strike from inside the box.

Play again switched to the other end when a effort from Jimmy Warner was blocked by the Ealing keeper’s legs whilst Tom Smith fired just wide after Greg Shaw played a free-kick over the top to set him up.

Beck then set up Jimmy Warner who found himself in lots of space but he fired his low shot just wide of the far post.

At the start of the second half a Scott Harvey free-kick was saved by the Ealing keeper and then Dan Power played the ball to Jimmy Hartley and his shot was blocked for a corner kick. From the resulting kick, Jimmy Hartley saw a low strike saved at the near post and then Cain Davey found time and space to to get a shot away which whistled past the far post.

Most Read

Jimmy Hartley was again denied when he saw his goalbound header cleared off the line with keeper well beaten.

Finally the Blueboys made the break through when yet another corner kick from Scott Harvey was headed just over the line off the underside of the crossbar by Shaun Murphy to make it 1-0.

Again Hartley was thwarted when his firm shot was well held by the Ealing keeper and Harry Sedgley had shot blocked after the ball had ran loose to him in the box.

London Colney then scored their second goal when Adam Halford found Cain Davey with a inch perfect pass whereupon he controlled the ball brilliantly and smashed it into the roof of the net from 12 yards.

It should have been 3-0 when the Blueboys won a penalty but Harry Sedgley blasted the spot kick well over the bar.