Two points dropped for St Peter’s
Missed chances cost Saints
HSCL Division One
St Peter’s 2 AFC Hertford 2
ST PETER’S dropped two valuable points in their push for promotion after being held to a draw by AFC Hertford.
The Saints had already beaten their opponents twice earlier in the season and fancied themselves to complete the hat-trick but a number of late withdrawals weakened the Saints’ line up.
Despite the reshuffle the Saints didn’t look too disjointed and they took the lead when Harry Cunningham’s header was glanced into his own net by an AFC Hertford defender.
The home side’s lead lasted all of two minutes though as Hertford took advantage of the space afforded them allowing a striker to get in on goal and level matters.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 3 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 4 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 5 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 6 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 7 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 10 St Albans set for heatwave and 31C sunshine in mid-August
Both sides were guilty of being sloppy in possession but it was St Peter’s who restored their lead when a fortunate break saw the ball fall to Michael Davies and he swept his shot wide of the ‘keeper and into the net.
The Saints created the better of the opportunities after the break but couldn’t add to their lead and they were made to pay late on when they failed to deal with a ball into the box and Hertford levelled for the second time.
Jermaine Davey could have won it late on for St Peter’s when he was faced with only the ‘keeper to beat but he couldn’t deliver bringing an end to a frustrating afternoon for the home side.
St Peter’s fellow promotion hopefuls Hertford Heath are the visitors to Colney Heath this weekend (KO 3pm).
St Peter’s: Barnes; Eames (Beswick), Carman, Wiltshire, Pooley (Stevens); Davies, Cunningham, Gauthier, Ellis, Jones; Taylor, Davey.