Two points dropped for St Peter’s
Missed chances cost Saints
HSCL Division One
St Peter’s 2 AFC Hertford 2
ST PETER’S dropped two valuable points in their push for promotion after being held to a draw by AFC Hertford.
The Saints had already beaten their opponents twice earlier in the season and fancied themselves to complete the hat-trick but a number of late withdrawals weakened the Saints’ line up.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the reshuffle the Saints didn’t look too disjointed and they took the lead when Harry Cunningham’s header was glanced into his own net by an AFC Hertford defender.
The home side’s lead lasted all of two minutes though as Hertford took advantage of the space afforded them allowing a striker to get in on goal and level matters.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
Both sides were guilty of being sloppy in possession but it was St Peter’s who restored their lead when a fortunate break saw the ball fall to Michael Davies and he swept his shot wide of the ‘keeper and into the net.
The Saints created the better of the opportunities after the break but couldn’t add to their lead and they were made to pay late on when they failed to deal with a ball into the box and Hertford levelled for the second time.
Jermaine Davey could have won it late on for St Peter’s when he was faced with only the ‘keeper to beat but he couldn’t deliver bringing an end to a frustrating afternoon for the home side.
St Peter’s fellow promotion hopefuls Hertford Heath are the visitors to Colney Heath this weekend (KO 3pm).
St Peter’s: Barnes; Eames (Beswick), Carman, Wiltshire, Pooley (Stevens); Davies, Cunningham, Gauthier, Ellis, Jones; Taylor, Davey.