Two more victories for promotion chasing Colney

London Colney recorded two more victories in their bid for promotion

LONDON Colney picked up two more victories in their pursuit of promotion this week beating Crawley Green and Sport London e Benfica.

The Blueboys hit five goals on Saturday at Crawley Green coming from behind to win 5-2.

Julian Robinson’s side were trailing inside nine minutes but equalised when Mark Paradise volleyed Frankie Jowle’s corner into the roof of the net.

It was another Jowle corner that provided the Blueboys’ second goal with the Crawley ‘keeper letting the kick slip through his hands and into the net.

Goal number three came from Greg Deacon, the former Colney Heath midfielder firing home after Dave Parkinson had sprinted clear and crossed into the box and Josh Humbert’s header, from yet another Jowle corner, gave Colney a 4-1 lead at the interval.

The second half was more sedate with just two further goals, one for each side. Crawley Green struck first to reduce the deficit but Russell Gallagher turned home Deacon’s knock down to restore Colney’s three goal cushion and confirm the win.

Most Read

The Blueboys fans had a nervous evening at Sport London e Benfica on Monday night before Colney eventually ran out 2-1 winners.

Paul Danslow, restored to the starting lineup, fired wide early on while Benfica’s Desmond Amonco had an effort blocked by Mark Whittamore.

The Blueboys broke the deadlock in the 27th minute when a short corner routine saw Jowle free to fire in a cross which Kenny Hull turned home.

Gallagher and Greg Shaw both went close before the Blueboys were awarded a penalty on the stroke of half-time when Danslow was tripped in the box by Amir Kani.

Gary Simmonds stepped up but his effort was beaten away by Fernando and Gallagher fired wide from the rebound.

Colney did double their advantage after the interval when Shaun Murphy glanced Jowle’s free kick into the bottom right hand corner.

Straight from the restart Benfica won a penalty which Rui Martins converted to ensure a tense finale but the Blueboys held out to claim another three points.

Sam Mitchell (two) and Cain Davey gave the reserves a 3-0 win over Cockfosters on Saturday but they are likely to miss out on the league title after losing 2-1 to Oxhey Jets in their top of the table clash on Tuesday. Alex Davison got Colney’s goal.

The midweek youth team have been busy of late beating Hayes 4-0, thanks to goals from Luke Thatcher, Will Davis, Brian Talbot and James Yates, and then defeating Kentish Town 4-1. Davis grabbed a hat-trick and Bobby Armstrong also scored.

They’ve also secured their place in the final of the Allied Counties League Cup after beating Maidenhead 4-1 on penalties. The game finished 3-3 with James Yates (two) and Armstrong on target.

Mark Hillier, Dan Frutuso, Yates and Max O’Shea kept their cool to book their place in the final which is against Thatcham next Wednesday at Uxbridge.