Two golds and a bronze for Striders at county championships
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Striders ladies took the individual gold, team gold and team bronze medals in the Herts Country veteran cross-country championships at Trent Park on Sunday.
Wendy Walsh was first home in the 6.5k race, more than two minutes ahead of the second placed runner. Zoe Lowe (3rd), Gill Jubb (6th) and Deirdre Heydecker (12th) made up the gold medal team, while the team of Mandy Attree (13th), Amy Jankiewicz (15th), Carole Mooney (21st) and Caroline Skyrme (29th) took bronze. Alison Campbell finished 32nd.
In the men’s 8k race, Graham Smith finished in eighth place, ahead of Graham Foster (15th), Craig Dowie (20th), Martin Halling (22nd), Tim Underhill (27th), Richard Todd (41st), Andrew Maher (46th), Michael Jack (50th) and Steve Alexander (51st). The vet 40 team finished fourth and the vet 50 third in their respective age groups.
In the Reading Half Marathon, Blake Vivian finished in 75 minutes exactly, Mark Castleton in 1:24:43, Alec Campbell in 1:26:57, Stephen Kelly in 1:35:02, Rav Dighe in 1:35:40, Ben Scott in 1:36:57, Ian Hirth in 1:39:20, Alex Leech in 1:56, David Prince in 1:57, Wai Meng Au-Yeong in 2:17 and Jenna Pickering in 2:29.
The Welwyn Half Marathon saw Antony Nicolson finish in 1:26:55 while Helen Cartlidge was third lady and first vet 35 in 1:31:33. The other Striders included Andrew McKillop (1:32), Richard Willcox (1:34), Paul Earnshaw (1:36), Jaimi Wallin (1:45), Jonathan Barrett (1:56), Kate Webb (2:02), Dawn Robson (2:06) and Laura Bailey (2:08).
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, Nairn McWilliams was third at the Leighton 10K in 35:58, Johanna Sharples was third lady at the same race and Jack Brooks completed the Virginia Beach Marathon in 3:50.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty