Tudors leave it late to earn a draw with St Albans City
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City and Hemel Hempstead Town served up a 1-1 draw in front of 1,132 people at Clarence Park on Boxing Day.
The hosts took the lead with 32 minutes on the clock when David Keenleyside played an excellent through ball to John Frendo, who took a touch before hitting a right-footed strike past Laurie Walker.
The Saints could, and maybe should, have been two goals up by the interval, but Frendo failed to convert when he rounded the goalkeeper.
After the break, St Albans began to sit back and, as the half wore on, Hemel forced themselves into the game. It was only a matter of time before an equaliser came. That goal arrived with just a minute left on the clock. A ball into the City box was cleared by the defence but it fell to the energetic Jordan Parkes, who unleashed a wonderful first time strike from 25 yards out which flew past Joe Welch and into the top corner.
The point keeps St Albans ahead of Hemel in the Vanarama Conference South, with the teams set to meet again on New Years Day at Vauxhall Road.
You may also want to watch:
The Saints’ must first switch to Sutton United, who they face on Sunday. Kick-off is 3pm.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre