Tring leave it late to snatch the points
Colney Heath lose out on an emotional day at The Recreation Ground
SSML Premier Division
Colney Heath 0 Tring Athletic 1
ON an emotional day at Colney Heath FC, following the passing away of loyal supporter and former club secretary John Chalkwright, Tring Athletic took all three points with a single goal victory.
After a minute’s applause to remember John, watched by a lot of his family and friends, the game kicked off in the January sun.
The players waited until the 11th minute to produce anything of quality when, from a corner, Paul Armstrong chested the ball off the line to prevent the first goal being scored.
Minutes later Colney Heath created their opening opportunity when Dave Corran, getting forward from left-back, shot over after good work from Aaron Clarke and George Rowland.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 8 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 9 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 10 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
After the break Corran again went close with two efforts which created panic in the Tring defence.
A long ball in the 53rd minute, caused problems for the Tring defence as Clarke got goal side but his attempted lob fell just wide of the post.
Josh Humbert went close in the 78th minute, when he controlled the ball, went between the centre backs but put the ball into the side netting.
HTring hit Colney Heath on the break on 85 minutes, Reon Thomas got onto the ball and lobbed Tom Blackman from the edge of the area to score the only goal of the game with Tring’s first real attempt on goal.
Colney Heath: Blackman, Armstrong, Draper, Barker, Corran, Dickie, Coombs, Humbert, Williams, Rowland, Clarke. Subs: Parratt, Eames, Perks, Lace, Gilbert.