Track and field season off to a great start for St Albans Athletics Club
- Credit: Archant
The track and field season got off to a great start for St Albans Athletics Club.
Clubs from Peterborough, Luton, Aylesbury, Woodford and Epping made the journey to Westminster Lodge on Saturday for the Southern Athletics League.
The league, which is for athletes from U17 to veterans, saw both AC and the St Albans Striders join up to field athletes from 100m to 2000m steeplechase and from triple jump to hammer.
And there were plenty of successes. For the men Tom Crouch took the 5000m in an unofficial club record time of 15.21 and Ricardo James came first in the high jump.
The ladies did even better with Megan Steer (800m), Tabitha Weddell (steeplechase), Sue Yeomans (pole vault), Cate Brooks (long jump), Louise Kelly (shot putt) and Lily Lee (javelin) all coming out on top.
You may also want to watch:
Second places in two thrilling 4x400m races secured a meeting win.
On Sunday the U13 to U17s competed in Watford in the Eastern Young Athletes League, with many year 6 athletes competing for the first time.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 9 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 10 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
There were plenty of outstanding performances including U13 Serena Thomas who totally dominated the sprints and Sam Newman who ran a text book last 400 to win the U13 boys’ 800m.
The club is dependent on volunteers and was especially pleased to have some new parent helpers officiating.
If you are keen to get involved in athletics please contact the club.