Townsend nets to ensure Cup progress for Colney
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Cup London Colney 3 Buckingham Athletic 2 AET LONDON Colney scraped through against Buckingham Athletic in the Division One Cup on Tuesday. The Blueboys let a two-goal lead slip away
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Cup
London Colney 3 Buckingham Athletic 2 AET
LONDON Colney scraped through against Buckingham Athletic in the Division One Cup on Tuesday.
The Blueboys let a two-goal lead slip away before clawing their way back in extra time to eventually prevail.
You may also want to watch:
Danny Butcher saw his fine header saved and at the other end goalkeeper Alistair Hill made a good stop to deny Hammond for Buckingham.
Colney took the lead after 15 minutes when Dave Corran set up Russell Gallagher to stab home.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 8 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 9 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
Danny Fitzgerald saw his shot parried and Gallagher thumped the post as Colney pressed for a second.
In the 50th minute Colney finally did double their advantage. Gallagher delivered the ball into the box and Paul Danslow continued his recent scoring spree with a good finish.
Soon after Buckingham reduced the arrears with a penalty which Dave O'Dell converted. Buckingham then drew level in the 78th minute as Steve Norman fired the ball home for 2-2.
The match progressed to extra time and Colney finally got the job done when Danslow and Greg Shaw combined to set up stalwart Dave Townsend who fizzed a low shot into the bottom corner for 3-2.
London Colney: Hill, Benning, McCafferty, Gorrell, Humbert, Beschizza (Townsend), Fitzgerald (Seabrook), Butcher (Shaw), Danslow, Gallagher, Corran. Unused sub: Murphy.