Townsend nets to ensure Cup progress for Colney
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Cup London Colney 3 Buckingham Athletic 2 AET LONDON Colney scraped through against Buckingham Athletic in the Division One Cup on Tuesday. The Blueboys let a two-goal lead slip away
Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One Cup
London Colney 3 Buckingham Athletic 2 AET
LONDON Colney scraped through against Buckingham Athletic in the Division One Cup on Tuesday.
The Blueboys let a two-goal lead slip away before clawing their way back in extra time to eventually prevail.
Danny Butcher saw his fine header saved and at the other end goalkeeper Alistair Hill made a good stop to deny Hammond for Buckingham.
Colney took the lead after 15 minutes when Dave Corran set up Russell Gallagher to stab home.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
Danny Fitzgerald saw his shot parried and Gallagher thumped the post as Colney pressed for a second.
In the 50th minute Colney finally did double their advantage. Gallagher delivered the ball into the box and Paul Danslow continued his recent scoring spree with a good finish.
Soon after Buckingham reduced the arrears with a penalty which Dave O'Dell converted. Buckingham then drew level in the 78th minute as Steve Norman fired the ball home for 2-2.
The match progressed to extra time and Colney finally got the job done when Danslow and Greg Shaw combined to set up stalwart Dave Townsend who fizzed a low shot into the bottom corner for 3-2.
London Colney: Hill, Benning, McCafferty, Gorrell, Humbert, Beschizza (Townsend), Fitzgerald (Seabrook), Butcher (Shaw), Danslow, Gallagher, Corran. Unused sub: Murphy.