Townsend Bowls Club end seven-year wait with tremendous Jones Cup success
- Credit: Archant
Townsend Bowls Club’s seven-year itch has been well and truly scratched as they lifted the Jones Cup once more.
They recorded a convincing win over Welwyn & District by a huge 18 shots at the St Albans & District finals day.
It was over as a contest after five ends as Townsend romped to a 15-shot lead on one rink, which increased to 20 shortly after and although Welwyn rallied, the damage was done.
The winning rinks were Bob Lawrie, Bob Padget, Roger Potter and Peter Armstrong, and Mike Doherty, Mike Cowell, Andy Scarborough and Peter Thomson.
Doherty and Armstrong enjoyed more success as they were joined by Les Perkins for a comfortable 24-11 win in the Triples final against Harpenden.
You may also want to watch:
However, Thomson failed in his attempt to make it a Townsend clean sweep when he ended up as runner up in the Singles with a 21-15 loss in the final.
A five-rink game at Shire Park saw Townsend win on four of them and by 91-78 overall.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The best was Bernadette Martindill, Ian Williams and Andy Scarborough who won 22-10.