Townsend Bowls Club end seven-year wait with tremendous Jones Cup success
- Credit: Archant
Townsend Bowls Club’s seven-year itch has been well and truly scratched as they lifted the Jones Cup once more.
They recorded a convincing win over Welwyn & District by a huge 18 shots at the St Albans & District finals day.
It was over as a contest after five ends as Townsend romped to a 15-shot lead on one rink, which increased to 20 shortly after and although Welwyn rallied, the damage was done.
The winning rinks were Bob Lawrie, Bob Padget, Roger Potter and Peter Armstrong, and Mike Doherty, Mike Cowell, Andy Scarborough and Peter Thomson.
Doherty and Armstrong enjoyed more success as they were joined by Les Perkins for a comfortable 24-11 win in the Triples final against Harpenden.
However, Thomson failed in his attempt to make it a Townsend clean sweep when he ended up as runner up in the Singles with a 21-15 loss in the final.
A five-rink game at Shire Park saw Townsend win on four of them and by 91-78 overall.
- 1 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 2 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 3 St Albans named among UK's best places for Christmas activities
- 4 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road
- 5 St Albans city centre road closures reduce spaces for Blue Badge holders
- 6 Community design group 'ignored' over Alban Arena redevelopment
- 7 Luton Airport expansion approved despite passionate opposition
- 8 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 9 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 10 St Albans council urges Hertsmere to rethink plans for Bowmans Cross
The best was Bernadette Martindill, Ian Williams and Andy Scarborough who won 22-10.