Town prepare for new campaign
New boss Ryan Thompson looking forward to new season
HARPENDEN Town have begun pre-season training ahead of manager Ryan Thompson’s first season in charge.
Former Park Street Village boss Thompson agreed to join the Amenbury Lane club at the end of last season following Christian Garzarolli’s departure and is looking to improve on the club’s 12th placed finish in Spartan South Midlands Division One last term.
“We’ll see if we can improve on last season’s position because that is the most important thing,” Thompson told the Herts Advertiser.
“It’ll be a difficult league this year, you’ve got St Albans City’s reserves in there, Welwyn Garden City have come down and London Colney are a good side too.”
You may also want to watch:
A few players have followed Thompson in switching Park Street for Harpenden and there will be a few other new faces coming in.
“We’ve had a couple of new players come along to training,” explained Thompson.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
“A few of the Park Street lads have come across and the majority of the Harpenden boys are staying on.”
Town have lined up friendlies with St Peter’s, Baldock Town, South Hill Alexander and Leighton Town.
Pre-season training is taking place at the ground on Saturdays at 3pm and on Tuesday nights at 7.30pm. New players are welcome to attend.