Town prepare for new campaign
New boss Ryan Thompson looking forward to new season
HARPENDEN Town have begun pre-season training ahead of manager Ryan Thompson’s first season in charge.
Former Park Street Village boss Thompson agreed to join the Amenbury Lane club at the end of last season following Christian Garzarolli’s departure and is looking to improve on the club’s 12th placed finish in Spartan South Midlands Division One last term.
“We’ll see if we can improve on last season’s position because that is the most important thing,” Thompson told the Herts Advertiser.
“It’ll be a difficult league this year, you’ve got St Albans City’s reserves in there, Welwyn Garden City have come down and London Colney are a good side too.”
A few players have followed Thompson in switching Park Street for Harpenden and there will be a few other new faces coming in.
“We’ve had a couple of new players come along to training,” explained Thompson.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
“A few of the Park Street lads have come across and the majority of the Harpenden boys are staying on.”
Town have lined up friendlies with St Peter’s, Baldock Town, South Hill Alexander and Leighton Town.
Pre-season training is taking place at the ground on Saturdays at 3pm and on Tuesday nights at 7.30pm. New players are welcome to attend.