Town go down at Crawley Green
Town slip up on the road
HARPENDEN Town crashed to a disappointing 4-0 defeat away at Crawley Green.
Town were behind after just five minutes when Robbie O’Dell latched onto Jermanie Hall’s long clearance and fired past goalkeeper Matt Lord.
Ryan Thompson’s side created their share of chances with Matt Newman’s header tipped over the bar by Sam Leggett and the ‘keeper produced another good save to deny Matt Day from the resulting corner.
Newman then headed over from Matt Dawes’ free kick and Town were made to pay for not taking their chances as the home side doubled their lead.
You may also want to watch:
John Butler put the ball into the box and an attempted clearance only fell as far as Stuart Strange whose shot was deflected into the net by Matt Baldry.
Six minutes later it was 3-0 as Strange’s shot rebounded out to Hall who smashed the ball into the net and the scoring was completed before the interval.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
Crawley’s Craig Savage picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and he unleashed a thunderbolt that flew into the top corner of the net.
Harpenden continued to battle after the break with Matt Day forcing another good save from Leggett but the visitors hopes of retrieving the situation were dealt a further blow when skipper Tony Golder was dismissed for a second yellow card after conceding a penalty.
The home side failed to take advantage as Hall put the spot kick wide of the goal but the game was over as a contest as Crawley Green closed the victory out.
* Town bounced back in the Division One Cup on Tuesday night as they came from behind to beat New Bradwell St Peter 2-1.
James Fletcher put New Bradwell ahead in the 16th minute but the lead only lasted two minutes before Matt Sutton drew Town level.
The deciding goal came in the 54th minute when Duane Bashin put the ball into his own net.