Tournament delight for tennis ace Tarvet
BATCHWOOD Tennis Academy player Oliver Tarvet served up his first Summer National Tour win with some excellent play at the LTA Grade 2 9&U Clay Court Tournament held at Gosling Sports Park over the weekend.
The day started well with preliminary group match wins against Nottinghamshire’s Kieran O’Driscoll-Pabla 7-1, 7-5 and Middlesex’s Gabriel Curreli 7-2, 7-3.
In other group matches several top seeds were not having it all their own way ultimately leading to the round of 16 knockout stage having a rather topsy turvy look to it.
Oliver, however, continued to use the full width of the court to create winning opportunities with effective drop shots and solid ground strokes to win through to the quarter-finals.
There he arguably had his best performance of the day against in-form Middlesex boy Nikolai Marin to secure a 7-2, 7-4 win.
You may also want to watch:
A solid return of service and dogged defence against Hertfordshire big hitter Joel Pierleoni helped ease Oliver in to the final 7-3, 7-3 where he again met Kieran O’Driscoll-Pabla.
In a nervy final both boys were unable to reproduce their best tennis, but fewer unforced errors gave Oliver a straight sets victory 7-4, 7-5 ensuring the tournament was won without dropping a set.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 6 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 9 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets
Overall it was an extremely successful weekend for the St Albans club with other Batchwood performance players Kade Neveling finishing in 7th place, Josh Ben 10th and Gugan Muralitharan a very creditable 20st place in his first National Tour event.
Elsewhere Oliver Tarvet also enjoyed Regional Tour success with wins at Ipswich Toyota Junior Open and Chesham Bois LTC Open Junior Tournament to complete memorable half term holidays.