Top 11 win for Townsend
Townsend faced up to Buntingford in the National top 11, a team which had caused them difficulties in the past.
The two singles were won by Townsend, with Andy Briden winning by 21-9 and Simon Gilbert succeeding in the two woods, 15-11. Next to finish were the pairs, Peter Thomson and Danny Macro, who, despite being up against one of the opposition’s leading players, managed to force them to concede the game and therefore the match, after 16 ends, when leading by 23 shots to six.
At that stage the fours, of Alfie Long, Jason Hall, Peter Armstrong and Gary West, were leading by 17-10, and the triples, David Day, Dave Houghton and John Godman were also winning by 18-15. The overall score was 91-54 and five rinks to nil.
In the Jones Cup, Townsend managed home and away victories against Welwyn Garden. The home team was skipped by Peter Armstrong, with Andy Bates, Laurie Rackham and Roger Potter, and won by 27 shots to 17, while the away side, with captain Gordon Williamson, and comprising Mike Doherty, David Day and Les Perkins, won 23-16.
In the London and Southern Counties Shield, Townsend came up against St Neots on a two rink home and away basis. The two home rinks won but their scores weren`t enough to make up the deficit accrued away.
In the County League Townsend won 51-32 against Harperbury. One rink drew 18-18 and the other, skipped by John Godman and comprised of Alfie Long, Roger Potter and Jason Hall won 33-14.
In the District Triples the Townsend trio of Mike Doherty, David Day and Alan Charran defeated opposition from Harpenden by 17-7.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 5 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 10 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
In the District Pairs the duo of Richard Morgan and David Day proved too strong against very experienced opposition from Hemel, winning through 24-15.
Townsend welcomed five rinks of Harpenden bowlers for a midweek match. The hosts won 122-80 with the top rink honour going to Laurie Rackham, Robbie Ransted, John Oakey and Tony Izzard, who won 30-17.