Top 10 finishes for Striders at La Santa
- Credit: Archant
Gary Warren and Martin Whitworth produced excellent performances to finish in the top 10 at the La Santa Challenge in Lanzarote.
The Challenge always attracts a large number of competitors and comprises a 10k race, a 13k hill race, a 5k beach race and a half marathon over a four day period.
Warren came 24th overall and fourth in his age group and Whitworth finished 37th overall and eighth in his age group.
This Saturday’s Parkrun was the 99th since the event started. 257 runners took part with Mark Castleton and Alec Campbell coming fifth and ninth overall, respectively, while Jenny Maddocks, running her 86th St Albans Parkrun, was first Strider female to finish and second overall.
On Sunday Graham Smith came fifth and Graham Foster was 11th in the Watlington cross country 10k fell race, which follows the historic Ridgeway footpath before ascending steeply into the Chiltern hills. Elsewhere on Sunday Doug Hobson and Claire Simm took part in the Regents Park 10k.
You may also want to watch:
Every year St Albans Striders make a donation to a local charity. This year they chose Special Olympics St Albans to be the recipient of a £5,000 donation. This charity runs sports sessions for individuals with a learning disability living in Hertfordshire and helps these athletes build confidence, self esteem and skill levels as well as enabling them to compete against other athletes in local, regional and national Special Olympics events.
For more information on the Striders, visit www.stalbansstriders.com
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 6 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 9 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages