Toomey happy with scoring start to season
THREE goals in the opening two league games has shown why St Albans City boss David Howell jumped at the chance to sign striker Lewis Toomey.
Against Cambridge City on Tuesday the 21-year-old netted a penalty and a 25-yard screamer to add to his cool finish at Banbury United on Saturday.
Speaking to the Herts Advertiser after The Saints’ 3-2 triumph over Cambridge, Toomey said: “I’m very pleased, Owsy [manager David Howell] set me a good target of 20 goals at least and that’s what I’m aiming for.
“The season has started really well, I had a good start also last year, and aim to keep it going this year.”
Toomey was the club’s first signing of the summer when he joined from Southern League Premier rivals Hemel Hempstead Town.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve settled really well,” he said. “I aimed to get my summer and who I signed on for sorted straight away as I did, and you have seen it’s paying off.”
Rookie Toomey has the perfect strike partner in the experienced ex-Premier League ace Barry Hayles.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
Of the partnership he added: “It’s working very well, we are both supplying each other now, it’s starting to click and will only get better as the year goes on.”