Too late the heroes as Verulamians just fall short of a huge comeback at Welwyn
- Credit: Archant
Time just ran out for Verulamians as a late charge almost saw them snatch victory away to Welwyn in London North West Three.
In the end they lost 31-29 but having trailed 21-10 at half-time and 31-15 with 10 minutes to go, they finished so strongly that a previously unforeseen win was so close to their grasp.
Welwyn started the brighter and two tries put them well in front before Billy Sach broke free and passed inside to Ben Russell who scored near the posts.
A further home try only had an Alex Ricci penalty in response before the half closed.
But after conceding another try Vees suddenly sprung to life and Sam Crowne, Charlie Deacon, Russell, Joe Baker and Darren Westhead all began to impose pressure on the Welwyn defence.
You may also want to watch:
Jake Lawrence soon went over in the corner but a home penalty ultimately proved crucial despite two late converted scores from Vees.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans