Too late the heroes as Verulamians just fall short of a huge comeback at Welwyn
- Credit: Archant
Time just ran out for Verulamians as a late charge almost saw them snatch victory away to Welwyn in London North West Three.
In the end they lost 31-29 but having trailed 21-10 at half-time and 31-15 with 10 minutes to go, they finished so strongly that a previously unforeseen win was so close to their grasp.
Welwyn started the brighter and two tries put them well in front before Billy Sach broke free and passed inside to Ben Russell who scored near the posts.
A further home try only had an Alex Ricci penalty in response before the half closed.
But after conceding another try Vees suddenly sprung to life and Sam Crowne, Charlie Deacon, Russell, Joe Baker and Darren Westhead all began to impose pressure on the Welwyn defence.
Jake Lawrence soon went over in the corner but a home penalty ultimately proved crucial despite two late converted scores from Vees.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area