Too late the heroes as Verulamians just fall short of a huge comeback at Welwyn
- Credit: Archant
Time just ran out for Verulamians as a late charge almost saw them snatch victory away to Welwyn in London North West Three.
In the end they lost 31-29 but having trailed 21-10 at half-time and 31-15 with 10 minutes to go, they finished so strongly that a previously unforeseen win was so close to their grasp.
Welwyn started the brighter and two tries put them well in front before Billy Sach broke free and passed inside to Ben Russell who scored near the posts.
A further home try only had an Alex Ricci penalty in response before the half closed.
But after conceding another try Vees suddenly sprung to life and Sam Crowne, Charlie Deacon, Russell, Joe Baker and Darren Westhead all began to impose pressure on the Welwyn defence.
You may also want to watch:
Jake Lawrence soon went over in the corner but a home penalty ultimately proved crucial despite two late converted scores from Vees.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans