Harpenden fencer becomes Hertfordshire’s first English fencing champion
- Credit: Archant
A young fencer from Harpenden has made history by becoming English fencing champion.
Tom Raut won the U15 boys sabre at the English Youth Championships, the first from Hertfordshire to achieve this honour.
The Paul Davis Fencing Academy man, who started fencing five years ago while he was still at Aldwickbury School, was one of a large field at the event, held in Hatfield.
And his run to the final saw him beat the reigning champion among some very difficult matches.
Academy director Paul Davis said: “This is an incredible result. Tom has worked tirelessly for the last three years to achieve this and the result will have a ripple effect across the Academy, with others who will now have a new drive to achieve what Tom has.
“We are very proud of him.”
Paul Davis Fencing academy is based in St Albans.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
For more information go to www.trampdfa.com or email email@example.com