Harpenden fencer becomes Hertfordshire’s first English fencing champion
- Credit: Archant
A young fencer from Harpenden has made history by becoming English fencing champion.
Tom Raut won the U15 boys sabre at the English Youth Championships, the first from Hertfordshire to achieve this honour.
The Paul Davis Fencing Academy man, who started fencing five years ago while he was still at Aldwickbury School, was one of a large field at the event, held in Hatfield.
And his run to the final saw him beat the reigning champion among some very difficult matches.
Academy director Paul Davis said: “This is an incredible result. Tom has worked tirelessly for the last three years to achieve this and the result will have a ripple effect across the Academy, with others who will now have a new drive to achieve what Tom has.
“We are very proud of him.”
Paul Davis Fencing academy is based in St Albans.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 3 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 4 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 5 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 6 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 7 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 8 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 9 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 10 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
For more information go to www.trampdfa.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org