Harpenden fencer becomes Hertfordshire’s first English fencing champion
- Credit: Archant
A young fencer from Harpenden has made history by becoming English fencing champion.
Tom Raut won the U15 boys sabre at the English Youth Championships, the first from Hertfordshire to achieve this honour.
The Paul Davis Fencing Academy man, who started fencing five years ago while he was still at Aldwickbury School, was one of a large field at the event, held in Hatfield.
And his run to the final saw him beat the reigning champion among some very difficult matches.
Academy director Paul Davis said: “This is an incredible result. Tom has worked tirelessly for the last three years to achieve this and the result will have a ripple effect across the Academy, with others who will now have a new drive to achieve what Tom has.
You may also want to watch:
“We are very proud of him.”
Paul Davis Fencing academy is based in St Albans.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 10 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
For more information go to www.trampdfa.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org