Harpenden fencer becomes Hertfordshire’s first English fencing champion
- Credit: Archant
A young fencer from Harpenden has made history by becoming English fencing champion.
Tom Raut won the U15 boys sabre at the English Youth Championships, the first from Hertfordshire to achieve this honour.
The Paul Davis Fencing Academy man, who started fencing five years ago while he was still at Aldwickbury School, was one of a large field at the event, held in Hatfield.
And his run to the final saw him beat the reigning champion among some very difficult matches.
Academy director Paul Davis said: “This is an incredible result. Tom has worked tirelessly for the last three years to achieve this and the result will have a ripple effect across the Academy, with others who will now have a new drive to achieve what Tom has.
You may also want to watch:
“We are very proud of him.”
Paul Davis Fencing academy is based in St Albans.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 9 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 10 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
For more information go to www.trampdfa.com or email email@example.com