Three-time national champion re-signs with Falcons
- Credit: Archant
Luis Goncalves has re-signed for the Herts Falcons.
The 21-year old made his debut for Herts in 2008 when he was just 14 after impressing coaches as his first training session. A season in the Double-A League with Herts Hawks followed, and he showed his promise by winning the team’s Infield Gold Glove and Rookie of the Year awards.
Goncalves quickly progressed through the ranks and made his debut in Britain’s top league, the NBL, in 2009 with the Herts Falcons. In his first and second seasons in the NBL he was awarded the Falcons’ Infield Gold Glove twice and led the team in stolen bases in 2009.
After three seasons at Grovehill Ballpark, Goncalves moved to the Harlow Nationals with whom he won three consecutive NBL national championships between 2011 and 2013. His outstanding fielding abilities were recognised in 2012 when he was selected in the NBL Team of the Year at second base, which is the equivalent of MLB’s Gold Glove Award.
Since 2013 Goncalves has been a member of the Great Britain U23 National Team.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone at the club has missed Luis and his family over the last few years, but he is back at Herts now,” said Herts Falcons manager Lee Manning.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans