Three goals and up to third for City

John Frendo leaps for joy after opening the scoring.

John Frendo leaps for joy after opening the scoring. - Credit: Archant

St Albans City jumped up to third place in the table with a 3-0 win over Weymouth at Clarence Park.

Ben Martin towering above his opponent.

Ben Martin towering above his opponent. - Credit: Archant

With Cambridge City’s game against Bideford cancelled - one of many matches in the league postponed due to the weather - Saints took advantage but jumping above them in the league.

It was a game in which City were by far the better team as the Terras were non-competitive for long stretches, allowing the Saints to take a three-goal lead into half-time thanks to two goals from John Frendo and one for Peter Dean. The action petered out in the second period but lead by Ben Martin and Tom Ward, who were superb at the heart of the defence, the hosts saw out the victoty comfortably.

Early chance as Lee Chappell released Frendo down the left wing. The striker turned his man and found James Comley in the box but his shot was deflected wide. From the resulting corner, Comley set up Frendo but the ball came at him too quick and bounced over the goal.

City fired off another warning shot in the fifth minute as Dean had the ball in the net but the linesman’s flag cancelled out the goal.

The Terras then called on goalkeeper Jason Matthews to keep the score level as he bravely dived at Frendo’s feet to stop an easy tap-in.

But Frendo wouldn’t be denied and in the 11th minute he gave City the lead with his 32nd goal of the season.Peter Dean, in his first league start, pulled a ball out of the air and passed to Frendo who was given space to run at the defence before shifting the ball onto his left foot and firing in off the post.

Most Read

Weymouth’s first chance came in the 15th minute but Sam Poole could not direct his lofted header over Paul Bastock and into the net. Five minutes later they could, and should, have equalised but Stewart Yetton sliced his volley over the bar from 10 yards.

Saints doubled their lead in the 25th minute as Dean scored his first goal for the club. A long throw in by Chappell was flicked on by Ben Martin to Dean who tucked it away from close range.

Frendo made it 3-0 just before half-time. City’s topscorer got a little bit of luck as the ball cannoned off a Weymouth defender before falling to his feet but there was nothing lucky about the finish as he calmly slotted it past Matthews.

Dean had City’s first chance after the restart after a training ground free-kick routine saw Graham pick out the former Wealdstone player in the box but his header was straight at Matthews.

After a pedestrian first 15 minutes, Yetton had Weymouth;s first chance but Bastock saved at his feet before the Terra’s front man swung in a cross that just missed Niall Thompson.

Gray and Golds replaced Matt Taylor and Dean on the hour mark with Chris Henry and Jamal Lowe in an effort to spark a bit of life into a dwindling game.

Instead it was Weymouth, who brought on Scott Walker to join fellow substitute Barry McConnell, a 55th minute replacement, who pressed for a goal. But, without any potency up front, they failed to threaten Bastock’s goal.

Comley played his last involvement in the 75th minute as he was subsequently replaced by Howard Hall, who had a glorious chance to score City’s fourth but the defender recovered to block his shot.

Henry provided City’s attacking threat in the final minutes of the game but he was unable to break Weymouth’s defences and the game ended 3-0.

The win sees City jump above Cambridge City – who had their game against Bideford cancelled.