Tho takes title
FOR the second successive year the sun shone on Salisbury LTC as the St Albans based club in Salisbury Avenue played host to another highly successful finals day, providing a showcase for the club s players to compete for an array of singles and doubles t
FOR the second successive year the sun shone on Salisbury LTC as the St Albans based club in Salisbury Avenue played host to another highly successful finals day, providing a showcase for the club's players to compete for an array of singles and doubles titles at all levels.
With the Bobby Moore Fund (for Cancer Research UK) being this year's nominated charity, an array of activities throughout the day included table football and tennis tournaments, a raffle and a lunchtime barbecue, all of which contributed to upwards of �300 being donated to the cause.
Highlights of the on-court action included victories for William Sharp and Johannes Bockenhauer in the U10 and U12 boys' singles respectively, a triumph for Imogen Glass in the U12 girls' singles and, in a repeat of last year's U16 final, a victory for Jon Tho over Ross Bogle.
The closest encounter though was in the U14 boys' singles, where Matthew Knight fought back from a 7-5 first set reverse to clinch a tie-break in the deciding third set against Alex Sharp.
You may also want to watch:
Lucy Grant built upon last year's U14 girls' singles success by defeating Natasha O'Dell in the U16 division and doubles titles were won by Mickey Doherty and Ross Bogle (U18 boys') and Richard Mills and Jenny Ingrams (U18 mixed), the latter of whom also took home the U18 girls' doubles title partnering Rachel Airey.
With a complete re-surfacing of the courts taking place over the next month to further boost the quality of the playing surfaces, the coming winter promises much for a club whose reputation as a club home to both highly competitive and social tennis continues to grow.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 5 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 6 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 7 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery