Third for Harps
HARPENDEN swimming club kicked off 2008 in fine style on Saturday night, finishing third in the first round of this year s Hertfordshire Major League. The club, who retained their first division status at the first attempt last year, put in a tremendous
HARPENDEN swimming club kicked off 2008 in fine style on Saturday night, finishing third in the first round of this year's Hertfordshire Major League.
The club, who retained their first division status at the first attempt last year, put in a tremendous team effort to beat local rivals City of St Albans.
Some excellent swimming from Flora Hanson and Morgan Pugh set the stage whilst James Harper, Duncan Nicoll and Georgie Smith led the rest of the team on to a fantastic result. James Harper recorded emphatic personal bests in both the 100m free and 100m breaststroke, slashing his times by more than four seconds.
Georgie Smith came first and second respectively in the 100m free and 100m backstroke, whilst Duncan Nicoll took more than five seconds off his 100m breaststroke time, coming in on 1:29.92.
You may also want to watch:
The club finished behind Bishop's Stortford and Hemel Hempstead who were the two seeded teams in their half of the draw and are looking forward to the next round on February 2.
Not content with their performance on Saturday night, six of the clubs swimmers, Anna and Juliet Merelie, Jessica Garner, Izzy Thompson, Edward Cook and James Harper had an early start on Sunday morning as they headed down to Basingstoke to compete in the second day of Basingstoke Bluefins Open Meet.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
Edward Cook returned with a silver medal and all of the swimmers set personal bests in their pursuit of county qualifying times.
Telephone the club on 07767 683956 or see the website at www.harpendensc.co.uk for more information. Trials are on Wednesday, January 16 at Rothamsted pool.