Season of success for St Albans district
SCHOOLS FOOTBALL: THE St Albans District Primary Schools Representative squad completed a memorable season by winning the Southern Counties Cup.
It has been an all-conquering campaign for the St Albans side who have finished the season unbeaten as well as claiming three major honours.
The team ended the season as Herts League champions as well as winning the Berkshire League for the first time. St Albans Primary Schools also won the Witney Cup, for Associations within 50 miles of Oxford, beating Oxford 3-0 in the final before clinching the Southern Counties Cup with a 2-1 victory over Gravesham (Kent) at Harvesters FC at the weekend.
It is the first time that any association has won the three big trophies in the same season and their unbeaten campaign is also a record.
You may also want to watch:
In what has been a busy season for the team, the district took two squads of players to North Tyneside to compete against the Northern Associations with the A team winning two of their games and drawing the other and the B team winning one, drawing one and losing the other.
In all, there have been 32 players from 19 primary schools in the St Albans area used and they have played 39 games in all including the B team fixtures. The B team has played 14 games as well, with seven of these games against other A teams.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
A lot of hard work has also been put in by the management team of Nick Sanders, John Moss, Matt Peters and Jody Evans and they would like to thank Harvesters FC, who let them use their fantastic facilities.