Season of success for St Albans district
SCHOOLS FOOTBALL: THE St Albans District Primary Schools Representative squad completed a memorable season by winning the Southern Counties Cup.
It has been an all-conquering campaign for the St Albans side who have finished the season unbeaten as well as claiming three major honours.
The team ended the season as Herts League champions as well as winning the Berkshire League for the first time. St Albans Primary Schools also won the Witney Cup, for Associations within 50 miles of Oxford, beating Oxford 3-0 in the final before clinching the Southern Counties Cup with a 2-1 victory over Gravesham (Kent) at Harvesters FC at the weekend.
It is the first time that any association has won the three big trophies in the same season and their unbeaten campaign is also a record.
You may also want to watch:
In what has been a busy season for the team, the district took two squads of players to North Tyneside to compete against the Northern Associations with the A team winning two of their games and drawing the other and the B team winning one, drawing one and losing the other.
In all, there have been 32 players from 19 primary schools in the St Albans area used and they have played 39 games in all including the B team fixtures. The B team has played 14 games as well, with seven of these games against other A teams.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
A lot of hard work has also been put in by the management team of Nick Sanders, John Moss, Matt Peters and Jody Evans and they would like to thank Harvesters FC, who let them use their fantastic facilities.