Tennis team headed to Europe
Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club senior ladies continued their exception run of form by claiming the National Inter-Club 40+ finals.
The team beat St George’s Hill, Surrey, to earn the right to represent England clubs in the European club championship to be played in La Manga, Spain, next September.
The England club finals for all age groups was held in Dudley, West Midlands, with the first round consisting two singles matches and one doubles match.
Gill Brown and Bridie Amos got the team off to a strong start by winning their singles matches 6-1, 6-3 and 6-3, 6-3 respectively. For the first round doubles, Harpenden’s Monica Becerra had been side-lined by injury and was replaced on the day by Debbie Nichols, who, with Miranda Hosking, just narrowly lost 6-7, 3-6.
At 2-1 up after round one, Harpenden needed only one more win to clinch the title. Brown and Amos teamed up and played a consistent match, to win 6-4, 6-4 and bring the title home.
You may also want to watch:
Brown said after the final match: “The atmosphere was electric and we are so proud as a club to have won the title. Next stop: Europe.”
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25