Tennant hoping for flying start to campaign at Redbourn Lane
HARPENDEN skipper Joe Tennant is in confident mood ahead of the new season as the club looks to capitalise on a successful 2007/08 season. The youngsters at the club took the spotlight last term, becoming national champions
HARPENDEN skipper Joe Tennant is in confident mood ahead of the new season as the club looks to capitalise on a successful 2007/08 season.
The youngsters at the club took the spotlight last term, becoming national champions and highlighting the bright future and good work at the club.
Harpenden are training for the new season on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7.30pm to 9pm and there has been a lot of work at Redbourn Lane, with the changing rooms refurbished and the clubhouse given a fresh lick of paint in preparation for the new season.
Pre-season action started on Wednesday evening at 7.30pm against St Mary's College. Harpenden are also playing an inter-club match of the colts against the first team on Sunday, September 7, which will be followed by a barbecue. This is also the registration day for the mini/junior part of the club.
Captain Tennant is looking forward to a strong campaign. He said: "We have a handful of new players, some good students who have finished university and other new faces.
"We are hoping to use some of the Under 17s stars from last season. The step up to senior rugby is greater than many people realise but I am confident that some will represent the Firsts throughout this season.
- 1 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 3 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 4 Person hit by a train between St Albans and London St Pancras
- 5 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 6 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 7 Call for hosepipe ban to protect River Ver
- 8 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
- 9 St Albans Striders brave the heat to tackle numerous races
"We have more depth and more quality, especially within the forwards and tight five. This combined with a talented back-line and some good youngsters coming in bodes very well. The key is to get off to a flying start."
Harpenden kick off the 2008/09 season at home to Hammersmith & Fulham in London Three North West on Saturday, September 13.