Team news: Debutant praised, notable absentees and competition for places
- Credit: Archant
GRAHAM Golds praised the performance of Darren Locke after his first game for City against St Neots.
The central defender, who is on duel registration from Wealdstone, was in superb form, heading clear any long balls to the St Neots forwards, clearing his lines when needed and distributing the ball to the midfield accurately.
A mishap at the end between him and goalkeeper Nick Jupp allowed St Neots to steal a winner but it shouldn’t detract what was an excellent debut.
After the game Golds, City’s joint manager, said: “I thought he had an outstanding debut and was probably our man of the match. He set the tone and we were really pleased with him.”
In other team news Chris Seeby was a notable absentee from Saturday’s starting line-up, but Golds confirmed he was rested after playing four games in 10 days.
You may also want to watch:
As for Brad Wakins (flu), Jordan Patrick (on loan) and Liam McGovern, Golds said: “They are good young players who are willing to learn and bide their time. Hopefully they will be with us for a long time.
“There are lads fighting for their places and everyone is looking over their shoulder, which can only be good for the team.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 6 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public