Team-mates back Keenleyside to step in for departed Shields
- Credit: Archant
David Keenleyside’s team-mates are backing him to step up as Sean Shields’ replacement now the Dagenham and Redbridge star’s three-month loan at Clarence Park has ended.
Keenleyside has scored twice this season, both coming in a 5-3 win over Cheshunt in the Herts Senior Cup, but chances have been limited for the 23-year-old. He has made just six starts and missed a game after a farcical red card at Ebbsfleet.
Despite that, there is overwhelming belief in the camp that Keenleyside can not just take over, but perform better.
Captain Ben Martin said: “Ability-wise I think Dave might have the edge. Sean has had a taste of professional football whereas Dave hasn’t so he might be a little naive but I don’t think there’s much between them.”
It’s not just Martin who is singing Keenleyside’s praises. James Comley spoke highly of Shields, especially after he scored the winning goal in his last game against Havant and Waterlooville, but was equally praiseworthy of Keenleyside. And Steve Wales said the same.
You may also want to watch:
It all adds up to player who many believe could be a vital part of St Albans’ team this season.
Joint manager James Gray expressed the same belief in Keenleyside two weeks ago before the arrival of Luton Town loanee Charlie Smith, who has so far held the former London Colney man out of the team.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
For the time being, Keenleyside will have to wait in the wings for his chance but if his team-mates are to be believed, he’ll grasp it with both hands and wow us all in the process.