Tansley thump Wanderers
Twelve-goal thriller at Verulamium
North & Mid Herts League Premier Division
St Albans Wanderers 4 Tansley FC 8
FOLLOWING their impressive win from the previous week, Wanderers were first out of the blocks, scoring through man-of-the-match Mike Gubay-Smith after just seven minutes. However, Tansley equalised when Phil Jackman headed into an open net as home ‘keeper Dan Upwood failed to reach a long free kick.
Further individual errors, a soft penalty and a fluke of a deflection allowed the visitors to race into a 4-1 lead before Gubay-Smith pulled one back before half-time.
The Wanderers forward completed his hat-trick just after the interval, but Denis Driscoll ran clean through the home defence shortly after to make it 5-3.
Again, Wanderers reduced the deficit - through Rich Francis - but counter-attacking play saw Tansley help themselves to three more goals in the final minutes.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 MP condemns government over BBC threat
- 10 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
The St Albans outfit will be hoping for the return of key players for another home game on Saturday, against Letchworth FC at Verulamium at 2.30 pm.