Tansley thump Wanderers
Twelve-goal thriller at Verulamium
North & Mid Herts League Premier Division
St Albans Wanderers 4 Tansley FC 8
FOLLOWING their impressive win from the previous week, Wanderers were first out of the blocks, scoring through man-of-the-match Mike Gubay-Smith after just seven minutes. However, Tansley equalised when Phil Jackman headed into an open net as home ‘keeper Dan Upwood failed to reach a long free kick.
Further individual errors, a soft penalty and a fluke of a deflection allowed the visitors to race into a 4-1 lead before Gubay-Smith pulled one back before half-time.
The Wanderers forward completed his hat-trick just after the interval, but Denis Driscoll ran clean through the home defence shortly after to make it 5-3.
Again, Wanderers reduced the deficit - through Rich Francis - but counter-attacking play saw Tansley help themselves to three more goals in the final minutes.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 8 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 9 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 10 The Midwich Cuckoos: Keeley Hawes on Sky's gripping new drama adapted from John Wyndham’s sci-fi novel
The St Albans outfit will be hoping for the return of key players for another home game on Saturday, against Letchworth FC at Verulamium at 2.30 pm.