Tansley thump Wanderers
Twelve-goal thriller at Verulamium
North & Mid Herts League Premier Division
St Albans Wanderers 4 Tansley FC 8
FOLLOWING their impressive win from the previous week, Wanderers were first out of the blocks, scoring through man-of-the-match Mike Gubay-Smith after just seven minutes. However, Tansley equalised when Phil Jackman headed into an open net as home ‘keeper Dan Upwood failed to reach a long free kick.
Further individual errors, a soft penalty and a fluke of a deflection allowed the visitors to race into a 4-1 lead before Gubay-Smith pulled one back before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
The Wanderers forward completed his hat-trick just after the interval, but Denis Driscoll ran clean through the home defence shortly after to make it 5-3.
Again, Wanderers reduced the deficit - through Rich Francis - but counter-attacking play saw Tansley help themselves to three more goals in the final minutes.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
The St Albans outfit will be hoping for the return of key players for another home game on Saturday, against Letchworth FC at Verulamium at 2.30 pm.