Tansley thump Wanderers
Twelve-goal thriller at Verulamium
North & Mid Herts League Premier Division
St Albans Wanderers 4 Tansley FC 8
FOLLOWING their impressive win from the previous week, Wanderers were first out of the blocks, scoring through man-of-the-match Mike Gubay-Smith after just seven minutes. However, Tansley equalised when Phil Jackman headed into an open net as home ‘keeper Dan Upwood failed to reach a long free kick.
Further individual errors, a soft penalty and a fluke of a deflection allowed the visitors to race into a 4-1 lead before Gubay-Smith pulled one back before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
The Wanderers forward completed his hat-trick just after the interval, but Denis Driscoll ran clean through the home defence shortly after to make it 5-3.
Again, Wanderers reduced the deficit - through Rich Francis - but counter-attacking play saw Tansley help themselves to three more goals in the final minutes.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
The St Albans outfit will be hoping for the return of key players for another home game on Saturday, against Letchworth FC at Verulamium at 2.30 pm.