Tangerines wrap up promotion to East League Premier Division
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s ladies’ 2nds have won Division One of the East of England Hockey League following an emphatic victory against Bromley and Beckenham at Oaklands on Saturday.
The Tangerines, captained by Ann-Marie Davenport and coached by Dick Ashby, have held their position at the top of the table for most of the season and made no mistake in confirming league victory despite still having three games left to play.
A team-like approach to play and a brutal display of finishing resulted in goals from Sarah Embrey (two) and Fiona Nekeman and a final score of 3-0, which secured the team’s promotion to the East League Premier Division.
In the Investec National League, the ladies’ 1sts took three points from Sevenoaks in a 2-1 victory at home. An unstoppable reverse stick strike from England international Ellie Watton and a well taken penalty stroke from Amy Kee put the 1sts in joint third in the league.
Success in the women’s section continued throughout the weekend, with the 3rds winning 3-0 against Hertford with goals from Amy Lynn (two) and Sarah Mobbs and the 5ths beating Letchworth 2-1 thanks to strikes from Nikki Davis and Rachel Jones.
You may also want to watch:
In cup news, the ladies’ vets booked their ticket to the semi-finals of the England Hockey Masters over-35s Cup by winning 3-1 away to Taunton Vale on Sunday with goals from club captain Liz Cleverly (two) and Sarah Embrey.
The men were also celebrating with wins for several teams. The 5ths beat Winchmore Hill and Enfield 3-0 after Roland Waller, Nathan Murley and Alastair Sykes found the back of the net. The 6ths won 4-1 against Hertford while the 7ths won away to Letchworth 4ths 3-1 with a brace from Charlie Beedle and one for Spencer Winter. The Centurions also won 3-1 against Southgate Tankards with Jon Tuck, Graham George and Chris Thornhill on the scoresheet.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan