Tabard win big against Harps

London Two North West

Tabard 55 Harpenden 12

A FINE all round team performance by Tabard on Saturday brought up a thrilling victory for the home side who ran in eight tries in all.

Although Tabard played and handled well Harpenden were not quite strong enough up front on the day and this gave Tabard the possession required to enable them to go through their paces. It must be said however, that Harpenden were not lacking in spirit and their tackling was good with several try saving tackles being executed and, towards the end of the game they came back with two tries of their own.

Tabard were quickly into their stride and while Harpenden got themselves into the game Tabard attacked remorselessly and were rewarded after five minutes with a try from No.8, Cam O’Connor, following a burst through the defence by stand off Jack Reilly. Reilly then stretched the lead with a penalty, before the game settled down to one with both sides playing good rugby until the final 10 minutes of the half when Tabard scored two more tries. The first from centre Pete Sleath, following another break from Reilly who flipped the scoring pass out as he was tackled and the second from wing Keiran Murphy, who ran half the length of the pitch following a scrum. Reilly’s conversion brought the half time score to 20 points to nil to Tabard.

In the second half Tabard were quickly into their stride and flanker Scott Stoba crossed the line after tabard attacked from deep and re-cycled quickly for the score which Reilly converted. There was then a lull in the scoring until the last quarter when prop Wilf Lake touched down after a line out drive closely followed by Stoba’s second try when he ran in from close to the half way line. Reilly converted both.

Harpenden then showed their spirit with two quick tries both scored by stand off Howard, the first when the Tabard defence was outflanked and the second when he chased a kick ahead to touch down for the try which he also converted.

Most Read

This late response from Harpenden provoked two quick tries from Tabard just before the final whistle, Murphy getting his second virtually from the kick off and then fullback Jenkins added the final try after a break by Sleath. Reilly converted both to complete the scoring and Tabard’s win by 55 points to 12.

Next week Tabard are away to Stevenage, kick off 2.15 pm.

Tabard: Jenkins, Austin (Shire 49), Sleath, Edwards, Murphy, Reilly, Gough, B Lake, Hart (McKenzie 60), W Lake, Hall, Calnan, O’Neill (Westaway 60), Stoba, O’Connor.

Other Result: Hemel Hempstead 35, Tabard 2nd XV 12.