Tabard stunned by Letchworth fightback
London League 1 North
London League 1 North
TABARD’S new season got off to a disappointing start on Saturday when, after dominating the first half they let Letchworth back into the game and ended up losing by 17 points to 11.
You may also want to watch:
To start with the game was all Tabard and they were virtually camped in their opponents half but it was not until the ninth minute that the first score came when stand off Jack Reilly converted a penalty to give Tabard an early lead. This was followed five minutes later by another Reilly penalty and, one minute later, Reilly made it his day with a try resulting from good teamwork.
Tabard’s No.8 Scott Stoba picked up at the base of the scrum to make the initial break, second row Cam O’Connor carried the move close to the try line, before the ball was re-cycled fast and fed out to Reilly for the score.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
Tabard continued to dominate the half but no further points came. Winger Neil Hopcroft came close, Reilly went over the line again but he was deemed to have gone into touch and fullback Joe Cunningham came into the line at pace but could not quite hold onto the scoring pass. The teams thus turned round with Tabard leading by 11 points to nil.
In the second half the Letchworth forwards came into the game much more and began to deny Tabard of the possession they had enjoyed in the first half as well as giving themselves a chance to put pressure on to Tabard. Once again, the Tabard defence proved a hard nut to crack but after just seven minutes of the second half the Letchworth second row Hett went over for a try after the ball had been recycled quickly from the breakdown.
Ten minutes later the Letchworth centre Shaw went over after the forwards had driven the ball forward before it was spun across the field for the score despite a knock on in the centre which the referee failed to notice. The try was converted and Letchworth were in the lead by a solitary point.
Tabard now tried to get a score back but they could not quite get through and towards the end another line out drive from Letchworth saw their flanker, Johal, go over for the score to give Letchworth the victory by 17 points to 11. Under the new bonus points scheme introduced this year Tabard at least picked up a losing bonus point.
Team: Cunningham, Hopcroft, Arasa (Thomas 67m), Edwards, Roberts, Reilly, Van der Vlugt, B Lake, O’Neill (McKenzie 70m), W Lake, Calnan, O’Connor, Hall, Stingu and Stoba.
Next week Tabard travel away to Westcliff, kick off 3.00 pm.