Tabard slip to third straight defeat
Fullerians win at Cobden Hill
London League 2 North West
Tabard 13 Fullerians 18
TABARD’S disastrous start to the season continued on Saturday as once again they suffered a home defeat, this time to Fullerians.
This is the third time in three games Tabard have scored 13 points and it is proving to be an unlucky 13.
You may also want to watch:
The game itself was a fairly dour affair and, if anything, Fullerians played the better rugby, which meant that Tabard spent most of the game on the defensive although their rare forays into Fullerians territory did bring them reward.
Fullerians opened the scoring early on with a penalty goal, kicked by stand off, Heley, after Tabard were caught offside.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
The game then settled down to a fairly even affair but Fullerians always looked slightly more dangerous and they were rewarded midway through the first quarter when a cross kick put their wing, Morley, over in the corner. Tabard responded with a penalty from scrum half Harry Gough, after Fullerians were penalised for the tackler not releasing.
A further penalty from Heley stretched Fullerians lead until, after 25 minutes, Tabard scored their first try.
Tabard had a line out close in, the ball was taken cleanly and, as the forwards drive lost momentum, the ball was spun out quickly and Tabard’s stand off, Tryfan Edwards powered through the cover defence to score.
This completed the first half scoring, although Tabard’s full-back, Stephen Jenkins made the best break of the match and should have scored but he passed the ball out and the pass was slightly awry. Thus the teams turned round with Fullerians ahead by 11 points to eight.
In the second half Fullerians once again had the better of Tabard for a lot of the time and their territorial advantage finally brought them a try midway through the half, this time second row Molloy powered over and Heley added the conversion.
As in previous games this season Tabard fought back at the end and attacked the Fullerians line with vigour.
A pushover try seemed certain to be scored but Tabard were unable to touch down cleanly. When prop Bill Lake then touched down the referee was unsighted and the try was not awarded.
Then finally prop Wilf Lake twisted through the defence under the nose of the referee and this time the try was awarded but it proved to be the last score of the game and Tabard were defeated, once again, by 18 points to 13.
Next week Tabard are away to UCS Old Boys, kick off 3pm.
Tabard: Jenkins, Davis, Hopcroft, Lewis (Austerberry 60), Ashcroft, Edwards, Gough, B Lake, O’Neill (Colette 60), W Lake, Hall (Barrow 60), Calnan, Ruston, Stoba, O’Connor.
n Other Result: Tabard 2nd XV 32 Black Horse 0.