Tabard slip closer to relegation
London Two North Tabard 13 Ruislip 20 TABARD put in a creditable performance against a strong Ruislip side at Cobden Hill on Saturday but defeat means almost certain relegation from London Two North. Ruislip showed the sort of cohesion that a side playin
London Two North
Tabard 13 Ruislip 20
TABARD put in a creditable performance against a strong Ruislip side at Cobden Hill on Saturday but defeat means almost certain relegation from London Two North.
Ruislip showed the sort of cohesion that a side playing together consistently can achieve and Tabard by contrast, with regular reshuffles due to disastrous injuries, were not as fluid in the three quarters.
You may also want to watch:
Tabard's tenacity in the attack pushed their opponents back early on and the Radlett side got their reward from a good line-out take by Cam O'Connor. Tabs set up a powerful drive and prop Steve Wilkinson was on hand to claim the first score. Centre Jack Reilly saw his kick flutter just wide in the difficult conditions.
The Tabard forwards led a strong display from the hosts but before half time Ruislip got through to score in the corner and then added a repeat try to make it 10-5.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The second half was again a closely-contested affair, with both teams employing similar tactics of kicking for ground and this resulted in many line outs.
Tabard's ball-winning trio of O'Connor, Montague and Davies were equal to the task and took several Ruislip throw ins. The hosts also enjoyed some time in their opponents territory and were rewarded with a long penalty from Reilly.
Ruislip though, aided by the Tabard injury jinx striking again with prop James Davey dislocating his shoulder, were edging the game and after a sustained assault of the Tabard line their centre got through to score a converted try.
Ruislip added a penalty to bring their tally to 20 points before Tabard took control and finally powered through from another line out drive. This time number eight Gareth Davies claimed the score but time halted the recovery and Tabard finished 13-20 down.
Tabs are back in action on Saturday, March 29 when they face Woodford at home.
Tabard: Fleuren, Ashcroft, Thomas, Reilly, Hopcroft, Woodard, Karstel, Wilkinson, Gates, Davey (Long 60), O'Connor, Montague, Troyer (Bates 65), Matheson, Davies.