Tabard secure losing bonus point

Scores by Chiswick either side of half time swung the game in favour of the visitors at Cobden Hill but Tabard battled hard to the end, eventually securing a thoroughly deserved bonus point, in a losing 22-17 effort.

Chiswick started the game at full pelt and were rewarded with a kick-able penalty after five minutes but it drifted wide.

Tabard rallied after the early barrage and were unlucky that a strong break by Nick Woolley, playing at full back, didn’t produce the first try of the game as he was stopped short of the line.

However, shortly after, and with the Tabard pack in control of a scrum close to the Chiswick line, good ball for Gerald Arasa saw him give a perfectly weighted pass to Joe Calnan, whose strong burst broke the cover defence allowing him to score under the posts. Barrow added the conversion.

Tabard stretched their lead when Chiswick were caught offside 25 metres out and Barrow kicked three points.

Chiswick responded to finding themselves 10-0 down and took the game to Tabard. Joe Ruston, playing in the No.7 shirt and back in the Tabard side after a lengthy lay off, was outstanding in his efforts to stop the opposition.

However, just before half time a speculative chip through evaded the Tabard defence only for the ball to bounce up and allow Chiswick in under the posts, and they made no mistake with the conversion.

Most Read

Chiswick then scored from another penalty and were lucky to turn round with the score all square at 10-10.

Chiswick started the second half the stronger and continued to add points with a well taken try in the first few minutes of the second half.

The Tabard pack worked their way back in to the game, and with strong running by Arasa and Calnan in midfield were unlucky not to capitalise on their possession.

Chiswick kept out the Tabard attacks and after a kick to the corner they found themselves camped on the host’s line. Chiswick were awarded an attacking scrum after the ball was held up over the line only for Tabard to be penalised for pushing too soon. The Tabard front row were bemused by the decision as it appeared they were well on top of the scrum. Chiswick barged over from a quickly taken free kick, making the score 22-10.

Tabard were not finished and their dominance over the Chiswick front row replacements was clear to see. Chiswick desperately tried to hang on to their lead, although their illegalities were spotted by the referee who showed the visitors no leniency, brandishing two yellow cards before Arasa broke through to score.

The game was brought to an end after Gough successfully slotted the conversion to take the score to 22-17.

• This weekend at Tabard the ladies beat Old Cats 35-12. The ladies’ team is always recruiting new players with or without experience. Contact Laura-Jo on 07793809586 for more information.

• The U16s beat Watford in their first friendly of the season and the U15s lost to Hemel in a very physical game.

• The minis enjoyed their first training session of the season. For information on the minis and junior sections, contact Chris on 07855 390665.