Tabard pull out the stops to dash Habs promotion hopes

Tabard produced a great performance to beat high-flying Old Haberdashers

Tabard produced a great performance to beat high-flying Old Haberdashers - Credit: Archant

Tabard overcame a red card to record a sensational 18-3 win over promotion-chasing Old Haberdashers.

Tries either side of half-time by Marcus Bunning and Tom King gave the Radlett-based rugby club a vital four points in the battle to beat the drop.

Tabard now find themselves out of the London North West Two drop zone, three points clear of Staines.

The moment of controversy came midway through the second-half.

A high tackle on Tabard’s Jack Reilly caused a fracas and when the dust settled, Tabard found themselves a man short for the remainder of the game.

With the score at this point just 8-3 to the hosts, you would have been forgiven for thinking the momentum would swing to Habs.

However, it was Tabard scored the remaining points of the game.

Most Read

King scored in the corner almost immediately, Reilly adding the conversion, before the fly-half stretched the advantage further with a penalty five minutes from the end.

A late onslaught from Habs followed but Reilly, Jack Girdlestone and Nicholas Westaway among others making vital tackles.

In truth though it would be wrong to single any one player out from what was a fabulous team performance and shows there is still plenty of spirit at Cobden Hill.

The day had started brightly for Tabard, dominating for the opening 20 minutes of the game and they eventually took the lead when Rhys Lewis made good ground down the left hand touchline and found Bunning in support.

A penalty from each side early in the second half took the score to 8-3 before Tabard finished off an almost-perfect day.

Tabard: Westaway, Girdlestone, Lake, Tilley, Hurford, Bunning, Davies, Priscott, Gough, Reilly, Lewis, Arasa, Leonidas, Calnan, King

Replacements: Smith, Sandison, Gough

A Harry Smith score was not enough to bring double-success to the club, the seconds losing 14-7 to Bishop’s Stortford.