Tabard lose out

London League 2 North

Tabard 29 Chiswick 36

THERE was a try festival on Saturday at Tabard’s Radlett ground but unfortunately Tabard were on the wrong end of the total of 10 tries scored.

Unusually it was Tabard’s defence that let them down, perhaps weakened by having to field a differing line up due to injuries both in the pack and the three-quarters.

Tabard started the game fast and spent virtually the first 10 minutes in the Chiswick 22 metre area but they could not cross the line and in the end had to be content with a penalty goal, kicked by scrum half Harry Gough, as a reward for all the pressure. It was then the turn of Chiswick to put the pressure on Tabard but a massive defensive error by Tabard saw the Chiswick full-back, Cheston, going over for a try, to give them the lead. The lead was short lived however as, from the kick off, Chiswick kicked deep into Tabard Territory. Wing Stephen Jenkins fielded the ball and started the counter attack, before feeding full-back Neil Hopcroft, who scythed through the defence from 40 metres out for a great try which Gough converted.

Chiswick responded with a try from their wing, Lewis, who was on the end of an attacking move which saw the ball criss-cross the field. This levelled the scores but Tabard took the lead again when Jenkins finished off the move after the ball was spun down the line following a scrum. Gough converted the try. There then followed some competitive rugby before Jenkins scored again. This time, after initially outflanking the cover, he stepped inside for the score which Gough converted and Tabard had the half time lead by 24 points to 10.

In the second half Tabard did not look so incisive and Chiswick began to come back into the game, getting their reward when Lewis got his second try, which was converted by stand off Luckman.

Most Read

However, Tabard fought back with another score of their own. This time, at a scrum, Tabard put the Chiswick pack under so much pressure they fumbled their pick up at the base and Tabard’s flanker, Scott Stoba, kicked the loose ball ahead and dived on it for the try.

Tabard then let Chiswick take the upper hand and they were able to score three tries, by flankers Adams and Kelly and finally by Cheston again, with Luckman adding two conversions to put Chiswick 36 points to 29 ahead.

Although Tabard had a last flurry and prop Bill Lake crossed the line to touch down, the referee ruled that the ball had been held up and Tabard had lost a game they really should have won.

Next week Tabard have an Intermediate Cup game against Basildon, at home, kick off 2.30pm.

Tabard: Hopcroft, Jenkins, Mitchell, Murphy, Lewis, Edwards, Gough, Lake B, Hart, Lake W, Calnan, Hall, Ruston, Stoba, O’Connor.