Tabard go down fighting at Westcliff

Tabard run in three tries on the road but it’s not enough to deny Westcliff

London League 1 North

Westcliff 32 Tabard 17

TABARD again found the pace of the new league that much better than they were used to last year and, despite a strong performance, found themselves on the losing end yet again with a 32 points to 17 defeat at Westcliff on Saturday.

In fairness to Tabard, their two opening games in this league have been against, on last year’s form, the two best teams in the league and they have scored tries against both but there have still been mistakes generated by the extra pressure exerted by the stronger opposition.

From the start Westcliff ran the ball at Tabard and Tabard defended well but could not seem to get possession of the ball. Then, in the sixth minute and entirely against the run of play, Tabard scored the opening try. A kick ahead was fumbled at the back by Westcliff and No.8, Darren Kidd gathered the ball just over the 10 metre line and ran in for the try in the corner.

Westcliff then started to put pressure on Tabard again and eventually gained a penalty, converted by full-back McKeith and this was followed by their first try, coming from a good powerful run down the left flank by their winger, Radley, the league’s top try scorer last year.

Most Read

Tabard also showed some attacking flair although good runs by centres Tryfan Edwards and Mike Thomas were foiled at the last minute. Then Tabard found themselves caught on the wrong foot when the Westcliff No.8, Reynolds, burst through the centre to score under the posts, to give McKieth an easy conversion.

Just on half time, Westcliff’s wing, Radley forced his way over for another try which was converted and the sides turned round with Tabard losing 22-5.

In the second half Tabard used the wind to keep the pressure on their opponents and this paid off when, almost midway through the half stand-off Jack Reilly’s long kick found touch close in. Tabard turned the line out over and flanker Ashley Hall powered through for a good try which Reilly converted. Unfortunately, virtually from the kick off, Tabard failed to make the ball safe and Westcliff’s centre Bowles was over for the score which McKeith converted.

Tabard kept going though and, with 10 minutes to go, a line out drive went over the opposition line and Tabard’s second row Cam O’Connor, claimed the score. Tabard’s resurgence was kept at bay however and a penalty near the close by Westcliff brought up the final score of 32 points to 17 in Westcliff’s favour.

Next week Tabard have another hard game against Ruislip, at their Cobden Hill, Radlett home, kick off 3pm.

Tabard: Cunningham, Murphy, Thomas, Edwards, Roberts, Reilly, Van der Vlught, Lake B, O’Neill, Lake W, O’Connor, Weizman, Stingu (Hall 39m), Stoba, Kidd.