Tabard find going tough at Chingford
Another defeat for Cobden Hill side
London League 1 North
Chingford 20 Tabard 0
A STRONG wind and a pitch that quickly degenerated into a quagmire proved the undoing of struggling Tabard on Saturday, as they succumbed to Chingford to continue their disappointing season.
Apart from a brief foray in the first minute of the game Tabard spent the whole of the first half pinned in their territory as the strong wind kept Tabard pegged back and they were forced to defend continually, a course of action that took its toll and meant that they were never going to get on terms with Chingford.
You may also want to watch:
Despite resisting the early pressure Tabard succumbed after the first 11 minutes when Chingford finally broke through and their flanker Campbell was over for a try which went unconverted.
Five minutes later the Chingford stand-off Forward converted a penalty and Chingford were eight points clear.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Columban Cycling Club take on 'The Italian Job' for Home-Start Herts
Tabard then resisted strongly for the remainder of the half and good tackling all round kept Chingford out but with the pitch now a complete mud bath, Tabard’s valiant defence was taking its toll.
After the turn around it was evident that Tabard had taken a lot out of themselves in the first half and the second half was going to be yet another struggle.
As it was the first Chingford score in the half came after 60 minutes.
This time Chingford managed to outflank the Tabard defence but only with the help of a forward pass that escaped the notice of the referee and their flanker Hoad touched down for the try which this time was converted by Campbell.
As the game drew to a close Chingford managed to score again when a good passing movement saw their centre Starling score to put Chingford 20 points clear.
As the game drew to its conclusion Tabard finally got some moves together and a good break up the centre should have resulted in a try but the final pass was knocked on and Tabard had to accept another defeat and the knowledge that they will have to raise their game if they are to remain in this league.
Next week Tabard are away to Brentwood, kick off 2.15 pm.
Tabard: Murphy (Gough 38), Ashcroft, Thomas, Mitchell, Davis, Edwards, Van der Vlugt, Collette, Hart, Lake, Kidd (Ashley 38), O’Connor, Calnan, Stingu, Stoba.
* Other result Tabard 2nd XV 10 Haberdashers 17.