Tabard edge Walsham in thriller

Tabard No.8 Aaron Pristcott

Tabard No.8 Aaron Pristcott - Credit: Archant

Tabard started slowly against North Walsham on Saturday but pulled themselves round and put in a terrific performance to finally overcome their opponents, 26-22.

Tabard did not start the game fully alert and, virtually from the kick-off, Walsham capitalised with a sharply taken try, scored by winger Serruys.

There then followed a painful first quarter when Tabard tried to get back into the game but were thwarted with poor set pieces. However, Tabard were able to turn round the performance up front and build a springboard to eventual victory but it was hard graft.

The first Tabard points came from two penalties by centre Jack Reilly, following sustained pressure. However, Walsham showed their mettle to get back into Tabard territory and from a scrum close in, No.8 Oakes claimed the touchdown and the teams turned round with Tabard trailing 10-6.

Tabard started the second half confidently and had an early score. Pressure on the Walsham line was rewarded when Reilly’s grubber went through the defence and wing, Scott Clewlow, followed up to touch down.

Tabard then continued to maintain the pressure but a good run out of defence by the Walsham flanker, Knight, set up a score for Borrett and Walsham were back ahead.

Tabard were still spending periods in the Walsham 22 and from this pressure they scored again. This time it was No.8 Aaron Pristcott who touched down after forcing his way through a despairing defence. Reilly added the conversion.

Most Read

Pristcott also had a hand in Tabard’s next try. Again close in, the Tabard attacks were thwarted but Pristcott gathered the ball and ran across the field, committed the defence and passed to tight head prop Jo Jacobs, who went over for the try.

Walsham were not finished yet however and they threw everything they had at Tabard. The Tabard defence wilted and the Walsham centre Hoyles went over for a try. Fullback Knight converted and Tabard led by one point with three minutes remaining.

Tabard kept possession and were awarded with a penalty which Reilly kicked to seal a 26-22 victory.

Next week Tabard are away to Colchester.

Team: Elliott Hurrell, Tom King, Joe Calnan, Jack Reilly, John Aguila, Gerald Arasa, Liam Kenny, Bill Lake, Jack Jamie Hancock, Jo Jacobs, Sam Barrow, Dan Calnan, Scot Stoba, Cam O’Connor and Aaron Pristcott. Replacements: Scott Clewlow, Harry Gough and Zukisa M’Cwabeni.