Swimming: St Albans District regains Herts crown
- Credit: Archant
The St Albans District Primary Schools’ swimming team produced an “outstanding performance” to win the Hertfordshire Primary Schools Swimming Championships.
This was the third victory in four years for the Year 5 and 6 students from St Albans, with the winning margin of 50 points over rival East District being year one of the most convincing of the competition’s history.
First places went to Oscar Brice, Thomas Cadenhead, Jessica Patrick and Alice Richardson. In the Year 6 Girls’ 50m Backstroke, Jessica missed the record by only tenths of a second, while Ruby Blackburne, Jessica Bond, Lauren Stott and Guy Muncer were close second in their races.
It took a record by both first and second place swimmers in the Year 5 Boys’ 50m Butterfly to beat Oliver Parker into third place.
Showing the depth of standard in St Albans District, the team won five out of eight relays and was second in the other three, with the Year 5 Girls missing the medley relay record by 0.2secs.
You may also want to watch:
Team manager, Andrew Ellis, said: “The team really excelled by coming together so well as a group, and producing outstanding performances to win the gala so convincingly.”
- 1 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 2 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 3 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 4 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 5 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 6 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users
- 7 Increase in electric car charging points thanks to new partnership
- 8 Row over charges for garden waste continues
- 9 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 10 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten