Swimming: St Albans District regains Herts crown
- Credit: Archant
The St Albans District Primary Schools’ swimming team produced an “outstanding performance” to win the Hertfordshire Primary Schools Swimming Championships.
This was the third victory in four years for the Year 5 and 6 students from St Albans, with the winning margin of 50 points over rival East District being year one of the most convincing of the competition’s history.
First places went to Oscar Brice, Thomas Cadenhead, Jessica Patrick and Alice Richardson. In the Year 6 Girls’ 50m Backstroke, Jessica missed the record by only tenths of a second, while Ruby Blackburne, Jessica Bond, Lauren Stott and Guy Muncer were close second in their races.
It took a record by both first and second place swimmers in the Year 5 Boys’ 50m Butterfly to beat Oliver Parker into third place.
Showing the depth of standard in St Albans District, the team won five out of eight relays and was second in the other three, with the Year 5 Girls missing the medley relay record by 0.2secs.
You may also want to watch:
Team manager, Andrew Ellis, said: “The team really excelled by coming together so well as a group, and producing outstanding performances to win the gala so convincingly.”
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 4 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 5 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 6 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 7 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 8 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 9 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area