Swimming: St Albans District regains Herts crown
- Credit: Archant
The St Albans District Primary Schools’ swimming team produced an “outstanding performance” to win the Hertfordshire Primary Schools Swimming Championships.
This was the third victory in four years for the Year 5 and 6 students from St Albans, with the winning margin of 50 points over rival East District being year one of the most convincing of the competition’s history.
First places went to Oscar Brice, Thomas Cadenhead, Jessica Patrick and Alice Richardson. In the Year 6 Girls’ 50m Backstroke, Jessica missed the record by only tenths of a second, while Ruby Blackburne, Jessica Bond, Lauren Stott and Guy Muncer were close second in their races.
It took a record by both first and second place swimmers in the Year 5 Boys’ 50m Butterfly to beat Oliver Parker into third place.
Showing the depth of standard in St Albans District, the team won five out of eight relays and was second in the other three, with the Year 5 Girls missing the medley relay record by 0.2secs.
You may also want to watch:
Team manager, Andrew Ellis, said: “The team really excelled by coming together so well as a group, and producing outstanding performances to win the gala so convincingly.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions