Swimming: St Albans District regains Herts crown
- Credit: Archant
The St Albans District Primary Schools’ swimming team produced an “outstanding performance” to win the Hertfordshire Primary Schools Swimming Championships.
This was the third victory in four years for the Year 5 and 6 students from St Albans, with the winning margin of 50 points over rival East District being year one of the most convincing of the competition’s history.
First places went to Oscar Brice, Thomas Cadenhead, Jessica Patrick and Alice Richardson. In the Year 6 Girls’ 50m Backstroke, Jessica missed the record by only tenths of a second, while Ruby Blackburne, Jessica Bond, Lauren Stott and Guy Muncer were close second in their races.
It took a record by both first and second place swimmers in the Year 5 Boys’ 50m Butterfly to beat Oliver Parker into third place.
Showing the depth of standard in St Albans District, the team won five out of eight relays and was second in the other three, with the Year 5 Girls missing the medley relay record by 0.2secs.
You may also want to watch:
Team manager, Andrew Ellis, said: “The team really excelled by coming together so well as a group, and producing outstanding performances to win the gala so convincingly.”
- 1 What to expect with pupils heading back to the classroom
- 2 CCTV appeal after £100,000 worth of vehicles destroyed in arson attack
- 3 Residents' misery after disruption on former Butterfly World site
- 4 Tributes paid following death of 'warm and polite' Redbourn councillor
- 5 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 6 Blooming Burnham flower tributes 'spread love not lurgies'
- 7 St Albans' COVID cases decline considerably as roadmap out of lockdown announced
- 8 Batchwood Hall COVID vaccine team warn of potential scam call
- 9 The latest court results from the St Albans area
- 10 St Albans named among UK's million-pound property hotspots