Hatfield diving coach Derek Beaumont ‘overwhelmed’ with lifetime service award from Swim England
- Credit: Archant
Derek Beaumont has been hailed as a diving “legend” after being honoured with a lifetime service award from Swim England.
The head of Beaumont Diving Academy, who are based at Hatfield Swim Centre, was shocked to receive the award during the 2020 British Championships in Plymouth.
He has spent over 50 years in the sport, progressing from athlete to judge, coach and committee member.
He said: "I'm overwhelmed to receive the award. I'm not talking about myself specifically, but it's nice to see volunteers get recognised.
"However, the greatest reward for me has always been to be able to see athletes improve and support them in the process."
You may also want to watch:
He has been responsible for producing nine Olympians, including Lindsay Fraser who went to the 1976 games in Montreal, and founded his academy in 1968.
Swim England's Suzie Collins said: "I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of this award than Derek.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 10 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
"He truly is a legend within our sport and I know many of us have enjoyed hearing his diving tales of years gone by."