Hatfield diving coach Derek Beaumont ‘overwhelmed’ with lifetime service award from Swim England
- Credit: Archant
Derek Beaumont has been hailed as a diving “legend” after being honoured with a lifetime service award from Swim England.
The head of Beaumont Diving Academy, who are based at Hatfield Swim Centre, was shocked to receive the award during the 2020 British Championships in Plymouth.
He has spent over 50 years in the sport, progressing from athlete to judge, coach and committee member.
He said: "I'm overwhelmed to receive the award. I'm not talking about myself specifically, but it's nice to see volunteers get recognised.
"However, the greatest reward for me has always been to be able to see athletes improve and support them in the process."
He has been responsible for producing nine Olympians, including Lindsay Fraser who went to the 1976 games in Montreal, and founded his academy in 1968.
Swim England's Suzie Collins said: "I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of this award than Derek.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 8 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 9 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 10 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
"He truly is a legend within our sport and I know many of us have enjoyed hearing his diving tales of years gone by."