Hatfield diving coach Derek Beaumont ‘overwhelmed’ with lifetime service award from Swim England
- Credit: Archant
Derek Beaumont has been hailed as a diving “legend” after being honoured with a lifetime service award from Swim England.
The head of Beaumont Diving Academy, who are based at Hatfield Swim Centre, was shocked to receive the award during the 2020 British Championships in Plymouth.
He has spent over 50 years in the sport, progressing from athlete to judge, coach and committee member.
He said: "I'm overwhelmed to receive the award. I'm not talking about myself specifically, but it's nice to see volunteers get recognised.
"However, the greatest reward for me has always been to be able to see athletes improve and support them in the process."
You may also want to watch:
He has been responsible for producing nine Olympians, including Lindsay Fraser who went to the 1976 games in Montreal, and founded his academy in 1968.
Swim England's Suzie Collins said: "I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of this award than Derek.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 7 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
"He truly is a legend within our sport and I know many of us have enjoyed hearing his diving tales of years gone by."