Super start for Saints
ST Albans crushed hosts Hoddesdon with an emphatic batting display on Saturday in Herts League Division One. The Saints won the toss and blasted 348-6 off 50 overs before crushing the Hoddesdon rep
St Albans 348-6 (50) Hoddesdon 129-10 (33.3)
ST Albans crushed hosts Hoddesdon with an emphatic batting display on Saturday in Herts League Division One.
The Saints won the toss and blasted 348-6 off 50 overs before crushing the Hoddesdon reply, bowling them out for 129.
l In Division Three St Albans II picked up a thrilling nine-run victory against Shenley Village at Clarence Park.
St Albans won the toss and were restricted to a below par 204 all out from 53 overs. Phil Dorsett (88) and Iain Curtis (34) batted well.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
In reply Shenley Village were reduced to 30-3 with Afroz Khan and Daniel Longhurst removing the openers. Ali and Rawlings steadied the innings for Shenley but were unable to accelerate, with thanks to Richard O'Toole's accurate bowling, however they were kept interested in the run chase with some useful spin from Ed Lowe (2-51) and Sam Rowland (1-19). Needing 12 off the last two overs, O'Toole (2-21 off 11 overs) and Longhurst (2-26 off 8.3 overs) returned to swing the match back in favour of the hosts. Ali was run out on 84 and Man of the Match Dorsett took a fine slip catch to seal the win for St Albans with Shenley all out for 195.
l St Albans III picked up 30 points from their home clash with Southgate Adelaide II in Division Seven.
Having lost the toss and been inserted the batsmen performed very well against some reasonable bowling on a helpful pitch. Simon Galloway smashed 74 and Michael Eames (53) and Shaun Wischnowsky (34 not out) also made key contributions as St Albans declared on 215-4 off 49 overs.
With the ball, captain Guy Black led the way taking 4-16 off 10.2 overs. Saf Khan 2-26 off five overs, Jamie Telkman 2-6 off six overs and Andrew Walker 2-6 off five overs also bowled well as Adelaide were dismissed for 121.
l In Division 10, St Albans IV ensured a full set of wins for the club with a dramatic victory away at Shenley Village III.
Simon Marriott picked up two wickets for St Albans but Shenley posted 218-6 off their 53 overs. Amit Garg, Nick James and John Rudlin each took one wicket.
In reply, openers David Hancock (32) and Rex Devadason (30) got St Albans off to a flying start and Rudlin (40), Garg (38 not out), Marriott (21 not out) and Graham Budd (20) made important contributions as St Albans reached the winning target on 221-6 off 42 overs.