Super Saints hammer four past Banbury United

ST ALBANS City put in a sterling performance to hammer Banbury United 4-0 at a soggy Clarence Park this afternoon (Saturday).

New permanent City bosses James Gray and Graham Golds were delighted with the showing despite their side never reaching top gear, but having plenty in the tank to secure the three points.

Days of rain had seen the rest of the games in the division called off, so all eyes were on Clarence Park.

Early tackles flew in with The Puritans’ Warren Plowright booked in the second minute for a nasty, late sliding foul on Richard Graham.

City debutant striker Greg Ngoyi, who has joined from Hendon, fired over on 10 minutes from the edge of the box and last week’s hat-trick hero Sean Shields brought a diving save from keeper Lewis Kidd soon after.

As City pushed to break the deadlock Ngoyi sent a curling effort over from 20 yards.

The influential Graham then played a short corner to Shields who crossed for Ngoyi who was unable to connect properly as the Saints knocked the ball around with ease.

Most Read

Banbury forged their first real chance on 17 minutes as Chris Lait drove goalwards from 10 yards only to see Nick Jupp turn the ball behind for a corner.

The opening goal came on 21 minutes.

Chris Henry charged down the right and cut into the box, he flashed a cross which Ngoyi couldn’t prod on target, however the ball span to the left wing where Shields collected it.

His shot was blocked and looped up for Graham who sent a beautiful dipping volley over United number one Kidd and in.

For Banbury Chris Lait fired over after Kynan Isaac was forced wide after breaking through, then Luke Cray shot straight at Jupp.

City doubled their advantage as Matt Taylor fed Shields and his low cross was tucked home by Ngoyi seven minutes before the break.

The second half was played at a less frantic pace, but with City still in control.

It was 10 minutes in before the Saints had another crack at goal, it was a nice move down the right from Chris Seeby, which resulted in the full-back pulling the ball back for Taylor whose deflected effort was stopped by Kidd.

A flurry of substitutes broke up the flow of the game, but saw Saints striker Toomey return to action after almost two months out with a hamstring injury.

Also coming on from the bench for the hosts were James Comley and debutant Dave Keenleyside, who has been playing for London Colney.

The game was sewn up with less than 15 minutes to play.

Graham’s wonderful through ball set Henry away and he tucked past Kidd for 3-0.

Banbury came close to a consolation goal as sub Ashley Dumbleton drove just wide of Jupp’s right post.

City grabbed their fourth on 83 minutes.

Seeby fed Keenleyside on the right wing and he cut the ball back for Toomey to rifle home to mark his return to action with a goal and add a gloss to the final scoreline.