Super Saint Sean signs off in style
- Credit: Archant
Sean Shields was six minutes away from returning to Dagenham and Redbridge with a draw, but he made sure he went back as a winner as he swept home St Albans City’s only goal against Havant and Waterlooville.
Steve Wales crossed the ball from the right for the 22-year-old who showed his class by taking a touch when others may have lashed at a volley before placing the ball past Ryan Young.
“He’s signed off with three points. It was a great touch and a great finish from him,” joint manager James Gray told Saintsnet after his side’s 1-0 win.
Shields has been a revelation since returning to the club he left for Dagenham and Gray now hopes he has the added confidence to break into the League Two side.
“He’s dropped down and come in for three months and he’s helped us,” said Gray.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve helped him, too; he’ll go back much sharper than he was because he’s had a good run in the side, scored goals and his confidence is good. Hopefully he can break into their side.”
He added: “I appreciate everything he’s done for us and Dagenham for letting us having him.”
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
Shields returned on Monday but Gray didn’t rule out a future reunion.
“This is the end of it for now but we’re close with him so if anything happens I’m sure we’ll be first on his list of clubs but hopefully he can get a run at the professional level,” he said.