Sunday League: Nicholas Breakspear do the double
- Credit: Archant
Nicholas Breakspear OB completed the double by winning the Challenge Cup with a 2-1 win against Skew Bridge.
Having already won the Premier Division, NBOB missed out on a treble-winning season after Vision eliminated them from the Knockout Cup. However, they weren’t going to miss their chance to do the double.
It didn’t go completely to plan, though, as Chris Gregory converted a penalty to give Skew Bridge the lead.
Breakspear came out full of fire after the break and a far post header from Richard Cooke levelled the scores. Neither side were able to edge ahead until a brilliant individual goal from Dave Parkinson, who out-ran his defender to blast into the Bridge net for the winning goal.
DIVISION ONE: Needing a win to clinch the runners-up slot, Phoenix proved too strong for an understrength Skew Bridge Reserves side, winning 4-0 with goals from Adam Vennard (two), Dan Burrows and Alex Thomson.
DIVISION THREE: Christian Pascal and Prev Selvarajah scored as Dukes beat Radlett Village 2-1. Adam Brooks netted for Radlett.
Ali Bart’s lob wasn’t enough as Marshalswick Rovers lost 2-1 to Herts Athletic, who went on to beat Old Albanians in their second game.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 5 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 9 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
Brookmans Park Reserves kept up their title hopes with a 5-0 win against St Albans Royals. The goals came from Drew Botterman (two), Dan Bedi (two) and Phil Webb.
Cottonmill beat Colney Heath Rangers 6-2 thanks to goals from Mark Gallagher (two), Tim Couch, James Plummer, Craig Redgwell and James Watt. Rangers’ response came from Antony Horwood and Jack Stevens.
Title-chasing Blacksmiths Arms came away from Oaks Res with a 2-0 victory, with goals from Jake Attwood and Rhys Jacob.
DIVISION FIVE: George Redbourn beat Ridge 3-1 with goals from Liam Picton and the Goldsmith brothers.
Harpenden Colts OB Reserves brought their season to a close with their fourth win, defeating Bricket Wood 3-1 with goals from David Hunter, Steven Easterbrook and Peter Hartley. Wood’s goal came from Adam McNairn.
NBOB 90 came from behind to beat Marquis of Granby 2-1, with Cameron Leigrave scoring both goals. Marquis’ goal came from Tom Coates.
In the second game of the double-header the scoreline was the same as Leigrave scored another two. Paul McIver netted for Marquis.