Successful hockey tournament hopes to become an annual event
- Credit: Archant
An inaugural schools hockey tournament has been declared a success – with the hope being it becomes an annual event.
St Albans Hockey Club hosted the U18 Schools Invitational Tournament with eight teams spread across both a boys’ and girls’ competition.
The four boys teams, St Albans School, Aldenham School, Dame Alice Owen’s and St Albans HC, and the four girls teams, two from Queenswood, Dame Alice Owen’s & St Albans HC, took part in a 7-a-side round robin competition for the trophies.
With a fantastic standard on show from all concerned, St Albans School took the glory in the boys event while hosts St Albans HC were victorious in the girls.
The afternoon had began with an hour long coaching masterclass led by England & GB Team Manager and GB Indoor Head coach Andy Halliday, England & GB players Hannah McLeod and Ellie Watton, as well as former England U21 player Martin Scanlon.
You may also want to watch:
Event organiser Dan Klinger said: “It was great to see over 80 hockey players taking part in the club’s first school’s event.
“I would like to thank all of the teams for taking part, the umpires who gave up their time and all of the people from St Albans HC for their support with the day.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 5 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
“We plan to make this an annual event and hope it will grow year on year.”