Successful hockey tournament hopes to become an annual event
- Credit: Archant
An inaugural schools hockey tournament has been declared a success – with the hope being it becomes an annual event.
St Albans Hockey Club hosted the U18 Schools Invitational Tournament with eight teams spread across both a boys’ and girls’ competition.
The four boys teams, St Albans School, Aldenham School, Dame Alice Owen’s and St Albans HC, and the four girls teams, two from Queenswood, Dame Alice Owen’s & St Albans HC, took part in a 7-a-side round robin competition for the trophies.
With a fantastic standard on show from all concerned, St Albans School took the glory in the boys event while hosts St Albans HC were victorious in the girls.
The afternoon had began with an hour long coaching masterclass led by England & GB Team Manager and GB Indoor Head coach Andy Halliday, England & GB players Hannah McLeod and Ellie Watton, as well as former England U21 player Martin Scanlon.
Event organiser Dan Klinger said: “It was great to see over 80 hockey players taking part in the club’s first school’s event.
“I would like to thank all of the teams for taking part, the umpires who gave up their time and all of the people from St Albans HC for their support with the day.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 6 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 7 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 8 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 9 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 10 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
“We plan to make this an annual event and hope it will grow year on year.”