Successful GB debut for Batchwood’s Hannah Read
- Credit: Archant
A schoolgirl from St Albans enjoyed a successful international debut for Great Britain in Belgium.
Hannah Read, who has been playing tennis since she was four-years-old at Batchwood Tennis Acadmey, was selected for the GB U11 team.
And the Abbey CE Primary School pupil impressed those in attendance, winning all three of her singles matches, as well as a doubles, as GB came through with a 9-7 overall win.
Coach Jon Meredith said: “Hannah showed fantastic fighting spirit and grit in her matches. She really rose to the occasion and is a great fighter.
“She discovered tennis through our funded schools taster program as a tot and been developed by us ever since.
You may also want to watch:
“She is one of our promising juniors with a bright future.”
After her final match, she met Andy and Judy Murray at the National Tennis Centre, to cap a great learning experience.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 5 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 10 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report