Successful GB debut for Batchwood’s Hannah Read
- Credit: Archant
A schoolgirl from St Albans enjoyed a successful international debut for Great Britain in Belgium.
Hannah Read, who has been playing tennis since she was four-years-old at Batchwood Tennis Acadmey, was selected for the GB U11 team.
And the Abbey CE Primary School pupil impressed those in attendance, winning all three of her singles matches, as well as a doubles, as GB came through with a 9-7 overall win.
Coach Jon Meredith said: “Hannah showed fantastic fighting spirit and grit in her matches. She really rose to the occasion and is a great fighter.
“She discovered tennis through our funded schools taster program as a tot and been developed by us ever since.
You may also want to watch:
“She is one of our promising juniors with a bright future.”
After her final match, she met Andy and Judy Murray at the National Tennis Centre, to cap a great learning experience.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25