Successful first outing for new Gaelic football team
- Credit: Archant
A new U14 girls team has taken a successful first step – in the sport of Gaelic football.
St Colmcilles GAC U14 Girls came out top in a four-team tournament held at their Cotlandswick base, winning all three games.
The team are part of the Gaelic for Girls training program that is underway at the club.
After five weeks of training and learning the game, the tournament, which included two teams from London and Claddagh Gaels of Luton, represented their first competitive outing.
A spokesman for the club said: “They absolutely hit the ground running. It was great to watch as all of the players, some of whom had never played, or even watched, football until recently, took to the game naturally and scored some brilliant goals and points.”
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman continued: “A big well done to all the players and also to the manager Neil and coaches Ellen, Eilís and Laura who were awesome.
“And massive thanks to Active St Albans who support the Gaelic for Girls program at St Colmcilles.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
The team will be out again in three weeks in another mini tournament before heading off to the All-Britain Championships in July.
If you would like to get involved, contact the club at www.stcolmcilles.co.uk or via their Facebook page: St Colmcilles Ladies Gaelic Football Team.
Training is on Monday evenings from 7pm to 8pm at the St Albans Irish Club, AL2 1DW.