Strong weekend for St Albans Hockey Club as men go top of the league
- Credit: Chris Hobson
Both first teams at St Albans Hockey Club have moved into strong league positions after this weekend’s games.
The men remain top of the East of England Premier League after a 2-1 win against Dereham at Oaklands on Saturday.
David Williams and Matt Hodgson scored for the Tangerines to the delight of the home crowd.
The ladies are also in the upper reaches of the table after a goalless draw with Cambridge City.
They sit third, level on points with Saturday’s opponents.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere two goals from Hayley Payne helped the ladies’ 2nd team come from behind to beat Dereham 3-1.
Fiona Nekeman got the other.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 6 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 7 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
It was the same score for the Boadiceas as they defeated Saffron Walden 4ths.
Mary Oswin, with a brace, and Helen Benny-Anton found the back of the net.
Back in the men’s section there were also wins for the 4ths, 5-4 against Cheshunt, the 7ths, 5-1 against Potters Bar and the 8ths, also 5-1, this time against Winchmore Hill and Enfield.
The Praetorians were also winners, beating Bromley and Beckenham 3-0.
However, the result of the day went to the 5th team, who recorded a splendid 8-1 success against Hertford.
James Durham led the way with four while Dave Thomas chipped in with two and there was one each Alistair Sykes and Mike Curtis.